Vote: Saffron Walden business owner and town team member shortlisted for national high street award
- Credit: Archant
A Saffron Walden business owner has been shortlisted in a national competition as one of the top three independent retail managers in the country.
Wendy Howell, owner and manager of Design Essentials in Market Row, was named in the third annual Great British High Street competition and needs the community’s votes to secure top spot.
Voting closes at midnight tomorrow (Friday, November 18) and people can cast their vote here.
Wendy, who is also a member of Saffron Walden’s Town Team, began Design Essentials as a pop-up stall at retail events before becoming a permanent fixture on the town’s high street.
If Wendy is crowned the winner, the town team will get a share of a £10,000 prize pot, as well as expert training from Google’s digital taskforce for shops, bars, restaurants, and a trip to Twitter’s UK office in London.
Wendy said: “I would be delighted to win this award. Our high streets are heritage brands that are being neglected, none more so than Saffron Walden with its offering of independent shops, art galleries and creative people.
You may also want to watch:
“I would hope by winning this award it would continue to encourage residents, business owners and councils to get involved with Saffron Walden’s Town Team.”
- 1 An afternoon at the Proms for Mountfitchet House residents
- 2 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 3 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 4 Church praises members for 'fantastic' Harvest Time generosity
- 5 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 6 Jets and Falcons fly out of Stansted after their NFL London showdown
- 7 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 8 David Walliams’ Gangsta Granny coming to Cambridge stage
- 9 Tributes pour in after death of Essex MP Sir David Amess
- 10 More Extra Care and retirement homes set for Radwinter Road