Waitrose thief steals cards and withdraws �230
POLICE are appealing for information and witnesses after an unknown suspect stole a woman’s purse in Saffron Walden on October 20.
Between 12.50pm and 1.20pm a thief stole a woman’s Fortnum and Mason black purse, with an estimated value of around �150, and containing bank cards, from inside her insecure handbag which was in her trolley whilst she was shopping in Waitrose, Hill Street, Saffron Walden.
The unknown suspect then used the cards to withdraw �230 from an ATM in Saffron Walden.
Police are appealing for anyone with information about this incident to contact officers at Saffron Walden police station on 0300 3334444, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
The key things to remember to keep your valuables safe are:
Firstly, NEVER let your handbag out of your sight. Carry it in front of you – especially if you’re walking through a shop or a town centre.
Secondly, AVOID carrying large amounts of cash, and if your purse or wallet is in a bag, ensure that bag is securely zipped up.
- 1 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 2 Government accused of 'grotesque waste of taxpayers' money' after Stansted flight
- 3 New vehicles to catch Essex's criminals on the county's fast roads
- 4 Creamfields South Chelmsford 2022 line-up announced for Hylands Park
- 5 Uttlesford District Council row over £4m 'black hole'
- 6 Plan to ease congestion at M11 junction 8 gets underway
- 7 In pictures: Burns Night at Walden's The Railway Arms
- 8 Miss Disco's Valentine's date with fans at Saffron Walden's football club
- 9 Celebrating 20th anniversary of Harry Potter at Saffron Screen
- 10 Driver shortage leaves Walden pupil without school transport
Thirdly, KEEP your purse or wallet safe at all times. Don’t leave it in your shopping basket, on restaurant or coffee tables, or on shop counters.
Theft can happen very quickly, and you may not notice you’ve been a victim until you next have to make a purchase.