Walden bells rung in memory of former town mayor
SAFFRON Walden Bellringers gathered at St Mary s Church on Sunday for some special commemorative ringing for Russell Green. Former Labour councillor Mr Green, twice a former town mayor of the town, died on January 18 after a long illness. He was 74. He w
SAFFRON Walden Bellringers gathered at St Mary's Church on Sunday for some special commemorative ringing for Russell Green.
Former Labour councillor Mr Green, twice a former town mayor of the town, died on January 18 after a long illness. He was 74.
He was given a full civic funeral for a lifetime of dedication and enthusiasm for the town.
Many of Saffron Walden's bellringers had known him over many years, and he had always loved to hear the bells being rung, just one sign of his enthusiasm for many of the old traditions which still thrive in Essex.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the bellringers said: "He had lived here all his life, and was well known and highly respected in Saffron Walden.
"The bellringers were pleased to be able to dedicate their ringing for Evensong as a mark of respect to an exceptional local character who will be missed by so many in our community.
- 1 Sam Smith to headline charity festival fundraising to fight food poverty
- 2 Families take part in Gain the Miles challenge
- 3 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 4 Care home residents and staff receive Covid-19 vaccine
- 5 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 6 Historic structures on Uttlesford heritage list
- 7 Laptops, iPads and Chromebooks being sent to let children learn remotely
- 8 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 9 Covid vaccinations given at the Lord Butler
- 10 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport