Walden bells rung in memory of former town mayor
SAFFRON Walden Bellringers gathered at St Mary s Church on Sunday for some special commemorative ringing for Russell Green. Former Labour councillor Mr Green, twice a former town mayor of the town, died on January 18 after a long illness. He was 74. He w
SAFFRON Walden Bellringers gathered at St Mary's Church on Sunday for some special commemorative ringing for Russell Green.
Former Labour councillor Mr Green, twice a former town mayor of the town, died on January 18 after a long illness. He was 74.
He was given a full civic funeral for a lifetime of dedication and enthusiasm for the town.
Many of Saffron Walden's bellringers had known him over many years, and he had always loved to hear the bells being rung, just one sign of his enthusiasm for many of the old traditions which still thrive in Essex.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the bellringers said: "He had lived here all his life, and was well known and highly respected in Saffron Walden.
"The bellringers were pleased to be able to dedicate their ringing for Evensong as a mark of respect to an exceptional local character who will be missed by so many in our community.
- 1 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 2 Saffron Striders enjoy lots of choice with Great North Run the main event
- 3 Essex Austin Seven Club takes in Saffron Walden on tour
- 4 Saffron Walden all set for big green festival
- 5 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 6 Peter Holt is appointed as the new district council chief executive
- 7 Saffron Walden triathletes doing themselves and their clubs proud at championships
- 8 'It feels brilliant to be back' - Aladdin announced as Cambridge Arts Theatre's full-scale Christmas pantomime
- 9 Opera superstar opens world-class season of entertainment lined up at Saffron Hall
- 10 Your pictures as Essex goes 'Back to School'