Walden bells rung in memory of former town mayor
SAFFRON Walden Bellringers gathered at St Mary s Church on Sunday for some special commemorative ringing for Russell Green. Former Labour councillor Mr Green, twice a former town mayor of the town, died on January 18 after a long illness. He was 74. He w
SAFFRON Walden Bellringers gathered at St Mary's Church on Sunday for some special commemorative ringing for Russell Green.
Former Labour councillor Mr Green, twice a former town mayor of the town, died on January 18 after a long illness. He was 74.
He was given a full civic funeral for a lifetime of dedication and enthusiasm for the town.
Many of Saffron Walden's bellringers had known him over many years, and he had always loved to hear the bells being rung, just one sign of his enthusiasm for many of the old traditions which still thrive in Essex.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the bellringers said: "He had lived here all his life, and was well known and highly respected in Saffron Walden.
"The bellringers were pleased to be able to dedicate their ringing for Evensong as a mark of respect to an exceptional local character who will be missed by so many in our community.
- 1 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 2 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 3 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 4 Back to the drawing board for Radwinter Road retirement homes
- 5 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
- 6 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 7 Revealed: Essex hospital treatment waiting time data
- 8 Firefighters rescue woman after town centre collision
- 9 No end of the line in sight for Audley End CrossCountry cancellations
- 10 Several trees cut down without permission from Saffron Walden garden