Walden sports challenge raises thousands for Comic Relief
- Credit: Archant
A 24 hour sports extravaganza raised more than £3,000 for Comic Relief as members of the Saffron Walden community joined forces with Saffron Walden Fitness (SWF) on Friday, March 24.
The event consisted of 42 classes in 24 hours and saw nearly 600 members of the public and SWF members attend the classes.
Lorraine Thompson, owner and founder of SWF, had hoped to raise £1,500 for the charity but soon realised that peoples’ generosity would surpass her expectations.
She said: “It was a fun packed energetic 24 hours of classes, some ladies completed a block of hours while others joined us throughout the night. We also had 3 members who completed the whole 24 hours of classes which was absolutely amazing.
“I’m so proud of everyone who was involved and we raised a wonderful amount of money for a brilliant charity.”
You may also want to watch:
Local companies also helped the effort, donating everything from free water to fruit and snacks to help power participants through.
- 1 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 2 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 3 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 4 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 5 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 6 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 7 No end of the line in sight for Audley End CrossCountry cancellations
- 8 Audley End Miniature Railway celebrates a lockdown easing sellout
- 9 St Mary's service held to mark death of Prince Philip
- 10 Back to the drawing board for Radwinter Road retirement homes