Walden sports challenge raises thousands for Comic Relief
- Credit: Archant
A 24 hour sports extravaganza raised more than £3,000 for Comic Relief as members of the Saffron Walden community joined forces with Saffron Walden Fitness (SWF) on Friday, March 24.
The event consisted of 42 classes in 24 hours and saw nearly 600 members of the public and SWF members attend the classes.
Lorraine Thompson, owner and founder of SWF, had hoped to raise £1,500 for the charity but soon realised that peoples’ generosity would surpass her expectations.
She said: “It was a fun packed energetic 24 hours of classes, some ladies completed a block of hours while others joined us throughout the night. We also had 3 members who completed the whole 24 hours of classes which was absolutely amazing.
“I’m so proud of everyone who was involved and we raised a wonderful amount of money for a brilliant charity.”
You may also want to watch:
Local companies also helped the effort, donating everything from free water to fruit and snacks to help power participants through.
- 1 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 2 Thaxted Gardening and Craft Show winners revealed
- 3 Saffron Walden actress Tamara Lee Smart to star as Marilyn Monroe for one night in rehearsed play reading
- 4 Hatfield Heath air disaster memorial 'a symbol of UK-US unity'
- 5 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 6 Cash boost for plan to plant 350,000 trees in Essex
- 7 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 8 Saffron Striders take advantage of late summer warmth to stretch their legs far and wide
- 9 'Do you enjoy singing and making new friends?' - Church holding taster session for its junior choir
- 10 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners