Walden sports challenge raises thousands for Comic Relief
- Credit: Archant
A 24 hour sports extravaganza raised more than £3,000 for Comic Relief as members of the Saffron Walden community joined forces with Saffron Walden Fitness (SWF) on Friday, March 24.
The event consisted of 42 classes in 24 hours and saw nearly 600 members of the public and SWF members attend the classes.
Lorraine Thompson, owner and founder of SWF, had hoped to raise £1,500 for the charity but soon realised that peoples’ generosity would surpass her expectations.
She said: “It was a fun packed energetic 24 hours of classes, some ladies completed a block of hours while others joined us throughout the night. We also had 3 members who completed the whole 24 hours of classes which was absolutely amazing.
“I’m so proud of everyone who was involved and we raised a wonderful amount of money for a brilliant charity.”
You may also want to watch:
Local companies also helped the effort, donating everything from free water to fruit and snacks to help power participants through.
- 1 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 2 Students share their views on school curriculum
- 3 Walden church open and taking part in Thy Kingdom Come
- 4 Operation Trespass will highlight drugs gangs cuckooing efforts
- 5 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 6 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 7 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 8 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 9 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 10 First day at school after beating Covid-19 while being treated for cancer