War veteran takes to the skies at Duxford
SIXTY-SEVEN years after he last took to the skies, a 93-year-old war veteran has climbed back into the cockpit of the aircraft he once flew into battle. Stanley Peck flew in a Tiger Moth for the first time nearly seven decades at the Imperial War Museum D
SIXTY-SEVEN years after he last took to the skies, a 93-year-old war veteran has climbed back into the cockpit of the aircraft he once flew into battle.
Stanley Peck flew in a Tiger Moth for the first time nearly seven decades at the Imperial War Museum Duxford after serving as a flight lieutenant in the RAF from 1942 - 1945.
Just prior to take off, with a beaming smile, Mr Peck said: "This is a very nostalgic occasion that I have been looking forward to for many years.
"It brings back so many memories. My wife bought this flight for me as a birthday present and family members said to her 'What's wrong - do you want to get rid of Stanley?'."
Mr Peck joined the RAF in 1942. He undertook flying instruction in South Africa and did his elementary flying in Tiger Moths at the Benoni base in the Transval. Following 237 hours of flying, he was awarded his wings and also won the commanding officers trophy as the top pilot on the course.
Staff at Duxford recreated a photo that Stanley had taken in South Africa back in 1942, standing alongside his Tiger Moth, having just completed his first solo flight, in order to commemorate his 2009 flight.
- 1 Red, white and blue: Royal theme for Saffron Walden windows
- 2 Suffocating plants to be stripped out: Jubilee Pond makeover
- 3 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 4 Platinum Jubilee: Uttlesford street party and activities
- 5 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 6 Outdoor theatre shows for all the family set for the National Trust's Hatfield Forest this summer
- 7 Saffron Walden U13 Girls celebrate 3-0 victory
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 The Silver Wolf, highest Scouting honour, for Neville Wilson
- 10 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
For more information on booking a pleasure flight at Duxford go to www.classic-wings.co.uk