War veteran takes to the skies at Duxford
SIXTY-SEVEN years after he last took to the skies, a 93-year-old war veteran has climbed back into the cockpit of the aircraft he once flew into battle. Stanley Peck flew in a Tiger Moth for the first time nearly seven decades at the Imperial War Museum D
SIXTY-SEVEN years after he last took to the skies, a 93-year-old war veteran has climbed back into the cockpit of the aircraft he once flew into battle.
Stanley Peck flew in a Tiger Moth for the first time nearly seven decades at the Imperial War Museum Duxford after serving as a flight lieutenant in the RAF from 1942 - 1945.
Just prior to take off, with a beaming smile, Mr Peck said: "This is a very nostalgic occasion that I have been looking forward to for many years.
"It brings back so many memories. My wife bought this flight for me as a birthday present and family members said to her 'What's wrong - do you want to get rid of Stanley?'."
You may also want to watch:
Mr Peck joined the RAF in 1942. He undertook flying instruction in South Africa and did his elementary flying in Tiger Moths at the Benoni base in the Transval. Following 237 hours of flying, he was awarded his wings and also won the commanding officers trophy as the top pilot on the course.
Staff at Duxford recreated a photo that Stanley had taken in South Africa back in 1942, standing alongside his Tiger Moth, having just completed his first solo flight, in order to commemorate his 2009 flight.
- 1 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 2 Covid booster vaccinations scheme is rolling out at pace
- 3 Gardeners behind the best-kept Saffron Walden allotments named
- 4 Team Max to hold fundraising auction for planned children's hospital
- 5 Runners raise more than £1,500 for Accuro in west Essex
- 6 English Touring Opera coming to Saffron Hall with rarely performed Handel opera
- 7 Walden war historian on the inspiration behind his latest book
- 8 Revealed: why some Uttlesford car park machines no longer take cash
- 9 Emergency funding for Essex care homes amid 'acute' staff shortages
- 10 Food collection and seasonal songs at R A Butler's harvest festival
For more information on booking a pleasure flight at Duxford go to www.classic-wings.co.uk