WHEN you’ve got to go, you’ve got to go: £1.1m house with 14 bathrooms hits the market
- Credit: Archant
A LANDMARK house in Birchanger with 18 bedrooms and 14 bathrooms has been put up for sale for over £1m.
‘The Cottage’ – thought to be the largest cottage in England – has been used for many years as a bed and breakfast, but has planning permission for conversion back to a family home if required.
The current owners, John and Angela Hodge, said: “The house was originally known as The Parsonage and the vicar lived here when the land was owned by New College, Oxford.
“The name was changed to The Cottage, probably when the new vicarage was built, but the owners before us began the guesthouse business and over the years they added a wing to either end to create more bedrooms.”
The guesthouse, which mainly caters for business travellers during the week and family parties at the weekend, is on the market for £1.1m.
You may also want to watch:
William Wells, director at Mullucks Wells estate agents, said: “We’ve certainly never come across an 18 bedroom cottage before. It’s an elegant house with the gothic windows hinting at its history as a parsonage.
“The Cottage could continue as a guesthouse - but there’s also the possibility of sectioning off the wings to create self-contained accommodation for family, rental or holiday lets.”
- 1 Historic structures on Uttlesford heritage list
- 2 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 3 Essex County Council to discuss council tax increase of up to £40
- 4 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 5 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 6 Campaign seeks free products in Uttlesford's public buildings
- 7 Law firm gains Customer Service Excellence award
- 8 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 9 Covid vaccinations given at the Lord Butler
- 10 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
For more information please call Mullucks Wells on 01279 755400.