WHEN you’ve got to go, you’ve got to go: £1.1m house with 14 bathrooms hits the market
- Credit: Archant
A LANDMARK house in Birchanger with 18 bedrooms and 14 bathrooms has been put up for sale for over £1m.
‘The Cottage’ – thought to be the largest cottage in England – has been used for many years as a bed and breakfast, but has planning permission for conversion back to a family home if required.
The current owners, John and Angela Hodge, said: “The house was originally known as The Parsonage and the vicar lived here when the land was owned by New College, Oxford.
“The name was changed to The Cottage, probably when the new vicarage was built, but the owners before us began the guesthouse business and over the years they added a wing to either end to create more bedrooms.”
The guesthouse, which mainly caters for business travellers during the week and family parties at the weekend, is on the market for £1.1m.
William Wells, director at Mullucks Wells estate agents, said: “We’ve certainly never come across an 18 bedroom cottage before. It’s an elegant house with the gothic windows hinting at its history as a parsonage.
“The Cottage could continue as a guesthouse - but there’s also the possibility of sectioning off the wings to create self-contained accommodation for family, rental or holiday lets.”
- 1 Man in court over alleged 'fox-killing' during Puckeridge Hunt
- 2 Solar farm application decision is deferred
- 3 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 4 School activities and sports in pictures
- 5 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 6 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 7 Dane's 10 day walk home with only a backpack
- 8 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
- 9 Post Office: change of location in Newport
- 10 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
For more information please call Mullucks Wells on 01279 755400.