WHEN you’ve got to go, you’ve got to go: £1.1m house with 14 bathrooms hits the market
- Credit: Archant
A LANDMARK house in Birchanger with 18 bedrooms and 14 bathrooms has been put up for sale for over £1m.
‘The Cottage’ – thought to be the largest cottage in England – has been used for many years as a bed and breakfast, but has planning permission for conversion back to a family home if required.
The current owners, John and Angela Hodge, said: “The house was originally known as The Parsonage and the vicar lived here when the land was owned by New College, Oxford.
“The name was changed to The Cottage, probably when the new vicarage was built, but the owners before us began the guesthouse business and over the years they added a wing to either end to create more bedrooms.”
The guesthouse, which mainly caters for business travellers during the week and family parties at the weekend, is on the market for £1.1m.
You may also want to watch:
William Wells, director at Mullucks Wells estate agents, said: “We’ve certainly never come across an 18 bedroom cottage before. It’s an elegant house with the gothic windows hinting at its history as a parsonage.
“The Cottage could continue as a guesthouse - but there’s also the possibility of sectioning off the wings to create self-contained accommodation for family, rental or holiday lets.”
- 1 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 2 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 3 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 4 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 5 First day at school after beating Covid-19 while being treated for cancer
- 6 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 7 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 8 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 9 Former Mayor looking forward to lockdown easing
- 10 Walden church open and taking part in Thy Kingdom Come
For more information please call Mullucks Wells on 01279 755400.