Window cleaning con in Uttlesford
A ROGUE window cleaner has been attempting to trick people out of money by charging for work which he has not done, police have warned. The latest incident occurred at a house on Cambridge Road, Quendon, at 1.30pm last Thursday. After knocking on the door
A ROGUE window cleaner has been attempting to trick people out of money by charging for work which he has not done, police have warned.
The latest incident occurred at a house on Cambridge Road, Quendon, at 1.30pm last Thursday.
After knocking on the door, the conman demanded money for work that he said his father had done the previous day. The man left empty handed and was seen heading in the direction of Rickling Green.
Inspector Kevin Wakefield from Saffron Walden Police Station warned that there have been similar occurrences in Stansted Mountfitchet and Newport.
You may also want to watch:
"Unfortunately there have been several attempts at this scam, particularly in the south of the district, and on some occasions the victim has paid the money," said Insp Wakefield.
"I would warn all members of the public to be on their guard and if they have someone call at their house and ask for money they should call the police straight away."
- 1 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 2 Affinity Water: No compensation for customers in water softening row
- 3 Audley End Miniature Railway celebrates a lockdown easing sellout
- 4 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 5 St Mary's service held to mark death of Prince Philip
- 6 More work needed ahead of holiday easing, Stansted says
- 7 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 8 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 9 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 10 Town council challenges water softening decision
The man has been described as Eastern European in appearance, middle aged, about 5ft 7ins tall, with short brown hair and wearing a blue t-shirt and navy tracksuit bottoms. He may have vehicle.
Anyone with information should contact Saffron Walden Police Station on 0300 333 4444.