Woman treated for smoke inhalation after house explosion
PUBLISHED: 14:10 16 August 2012 | UPDATED: 15:52 16 August 2012
FIREFIGHTERS were called to a house in Saffron Walden this morning (Thursday) following reports of an explosion.
Two crews from Saffron Walden tackled a fire in the utility room of the property and a 45-year-old woman was treated for smoke inhalation.
The incident happened at around 10.15am this morning at a house in East Street. Firefighters extinguished the blaze by 10.45am and after administering oxygen therapy to the woman she was placed in the care of the ambulance service.
Crews then ventilated the property and requested the gas board attend the incident.
A spokesman from Saffron Walden fire station said: “Crews were called to reports of an explosion at a house in East Street. The resident of the property raised the alarm after she heard a loud bang in her utility room and her carbon monoxide alarm was activating.
“When fire crews arrived at the house the utility room was smoke logged and crews in breathing apparatus entered the property to extinguish the fire. The boiler appeared to have had a small explosion and the gas board were called in to investigate.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.