World Cup tidy-up urges people not to be Messi
A LITTER-BUSTING campaign to tidy up Uttlesford’s towns and villages has been given the green light by councillors.
A budget of �15,000 was approved by members of Uttlesford District Council’s environment committee to run the initiative, which will encourage people to take more pride in where they live.
The civic pride campaign will feature a number of events and kicks off this week with a World Cup-themed tidy up.
Scores of posters have been handed out to shops and takeaways across the district, urging residents to take pride in where they live and bin their litter.
Council leader, Cllr Jim Ketteridge, said: “We hope that everyone will take this message on board. While we recognise that most people on our district behave responsibly, our environment can be spoilt by a small minority.
“It’s great that so many shops and other businesses are displaying the posters – it’s a good way to show your support for England in the World Cup, as well as delivering an important anti-littering message.
“I’d like to thank all the parish councils that are taking part too.
- 1 Wenden Junior Cricket Club embrace new cricket season
- 2 How well do you know the Gibson Library?
- 3 Committee and president appointed for Elsenham WI
- 4 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 5 Saffron Walden draw positives at Witham
- 6 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 7 Uttlesford new development could be triple the size of one refused
- 8 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 9 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
- 10 Solar farm application decision is deferred
“It only takes a few seconds to put your litter in a bin and frankly there is no excuse for not doing so.”
The posters feature the slogans: “We don’t need Messi” and “Have some pride” along with the line “C’mon England – Let’s keep it tidy”.
If you would like free World Cup litter posters or car stickers for your business or home, please call 01799 510500.