World Cup tidy-up urges people not to be Messi
A LITTER-BUSTING campaign to tidy up Uttlesford’s towns and villages has been given the green light by councillors.
A budget of �15,000 was approved by members of Uttlesford District Council’s environment committee to run the initiative, which will encourage people to take more pride in where they live.
The civic pride campaign will feature a number of events and kicks off this week with a World Cup-themed tidy up.
Scores of posters have been handed out to shops and takeaways across the district, urging residents to take pride in where they live and bin their litter.
Council leader, Cllr Jim Ketteridge, said: “We hope that everyone will take this message on board. While we recognise that most people on our district behave responsibly, our environment can be spoilt by a small minority.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s great that so many shops and other businesses are displaying the posters – it’s a good way to show your support for England in the World Cup, as well as delivering an important anti-littering message.
“I’d like to thank all the parish councils that are taking part too.
- 1 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 2 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 3 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 4 Stations benefit from funding
- 5 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 6 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 7 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 8 Essex County Council to discuss council tax increase of up to £40
- 9 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 10 New book features illustrations of Bridge End Garden
“It only takes a few seconds to put your litter in a bin and frankly there is no excuse for not doing so.”
The posters feature the slogans: “We don’t need Messi” and “Have some pride” along with the line “C’mon England – Let’s keep it tidy”.
If you would like free World Cup litter posters or car stickers for your business or home, please call 01799 510500.