Young rapper makes regional finals of Open Mic UK 2012
A TEENAGE rap artist is one step closer to fulfilling his dream after being given the big thumbs up by judges for his on-stage performance in a prestigious talent competition.
Glenn Godfrey, from Takeley, has made it through to the regional finals of the national Open Mic UK 2012 after beating off thousands of others at the audition stage.
He’ll now go head-to-head with the region’s best singers, rappers and vocalists next month and, if successful, the 19-year-old, who uses his surname as his stage name, will book a place in the national final at The O2 arena in London early next year.
Glenn - whose debut album, called Music. Passion. Life, is set to release on iTunes, Spotify, Google Play and Amazon later this year - is under no illusions as to what getting the finals of the competition could mean.
“It would mean a great deal to me,” he said. “It is a chance to get signed and for my music to be seen. I would love for my music to be well known.”
Glenn says he has always been interested in rap music since an early age and started writing his own lyrics at just 13.
“I put it to one side but it was always in my mind to go back to it. At about 15 or 16 I realised the lyrics were quite good and I started finding my own unique sound. Sine then I’ve been writing and recording music, and just really going for it,” he says.
- 1 Plan to ease congestion at M11 junction 8 gets underway
- 2 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 3 Road building not the answer to Essex's transport woes, says campaigner
- 4 Driver shortage leaves Walden pupil without school transport
- 5 In pictures: Burns Night at Walden's The Railway Arms
- 6 Experience University of Cambridge Museums' free Twilight with the Museums sleepover at home
- 7 Saffron Striders enjoy home leg of inter-club cross-country championship
- 8 Solar farm planning application near Thaxted
- 9 Suspected crowbar assault leaves Stansted driver with serious injuries
- 10 Tourism Awards 2021-2022: Meet the Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Award finalists
“My songs are about anything and everything. Most of it is about my life which can relate to anyone. If I’m feeling upbeat, the song will be upbeat. If I’m moody, the song will be moody. Whatever falls into my head I will write about.
“My three-year-old nephew, Alfie, is one of my inspirations, as is my family. They’re very supportive of my music.”
Open Mic UK is revered for spotting unsigned talent across all genres. Its latter stages provide acts with the opportunity to impress guests from record labels, agencies and the entertainment industry, as well as judges from BBC Introducing and national radio.
Former winner Hatty Keane has been signed to BGM Music and performed live sets alongside Ed Sheeran, Tinchy Stryder and Roll Deep.
To book tickets to the regional finals, at the Highlight Watford on October 28, visit openmicuk.co.uk or e-mail email@example.com.