Youngsters invited to be apart of the celebrity football match day in Saffron Walden
- Credit: Archant
Waitrose in Saffron Walden has donated a cheque for £531 to a charity launched in memory of a County High student.
Earlier this month Morag Linwood and her daughter Emelia visited the Hill Street store to collect the cheque for the Ethan Rees Linwood Memorial Fund.
Ethan, 11, from Thaxted, died in a car crash in October 2012.
The Ethan Rees Linwood Memorial Fund is a local charity set up to work with disadvantaged children and young people, parents and carers within the community of Uttlesford. The aim of the charity is to raise the aspirations of children and young people, enabling them to realise their potential and have their achievements recognised.
Following last year’s celebrity football match, held in Ethan’s memory, a second game is being held at Saffron Walden Town Football Club on April 27. As part of the fun-filled day, where cast members from The Only Way Is Essex and an EastEnders star are expected to turn out, youngsters are being invited to join in the fun.
You may also want to watch:
Girls and boys aged 8-16 have been offered the chance to play at the Catons Lane ground and be part of making the day a success.
Ethan’s father, Bob, said: “It doesn’t matter how good you are and you may not even play in a team already but if you would love to play on a big pitch, in front of a grandstand and with quite a few people watching, here’s your big chance!
- 1 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 2 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 3 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 4 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 5 First day at school after beating Covid-19 while being treated for cancer
- 6 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 7 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 8 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 9 Walden church open and taking part in Thy Kingdom Come
- 10 Market Square event organisers "amazed" at popularity of dine-out event
“We are looking for kids who want to play to make contact with us now. Just tell us your name, age and favourite position. We’ll then create four 5-a-side teams to play in a mini competition on the morning of the charity football match day.”
He added: “If ever the saying ‘it’s not about winning, it’s about taking part’ was true, then this is it. And this is exactly how Ethan would have seen it, which is what our charity is all about.”
Each player will receive a special commemorative charity certificate showing they were part of the day.
Visit facebook.com/EthanReesMemorialFund, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01371 830403.