Your local constabulary needs you...
SPECIAL constables for Saffron Walden, Great Dunmow and Thaxted are being recruited by Essex Police as part of a pioneering initiative funded by Uttlesford District Council.
Anyone interested in becoming a special constable in the district has been invited to a recruitment and information event at UDC’s offices in London Road, Saffron Walden, next Thursday (October 25).
The event will begin at 7.30pm and places must be booked in advance by emailing email@example.com or calling 101 ext 166157
Last month the Reporter published details about the scheme, which has seen the district council set aside funds to pay for the training of up to 10 special constables.
Special constables give up their free time to work with the police to improve the communities in which they live and work.
You may also want to watch:
They have full police powers, uniforms and equipment but sacrifice their free time on a voluntary basis, organising their busy personal lives, day jobs and other commitments around police duties.
Each volunteer will go out with an officer over a two-month period before being sent on patrols with other special constables.
- 1 Care home residents and staff receive Covid-19 vaccine
- 2 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 3 Families take part in Gain the Miles challenge
- 4 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 5 Town council backs new support club
- 6 Sam Smith to headline charity festival fundraising to fight food poverty
- 7 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 8 Historic structures on Uttlesford heritage list
- 9 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 10 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
Essex Police said they want to hear from people if they are:
• At least 18 years old (at commencement of training)
• Willing to give a minimum of 16 hours per month
• Meet the required medical and fitness standards
• Can commit to the training requirements
For more information about the role of a special constable, visit the recruitment section of Essex Police’s website at http://www.essex.police.uk/recruitment.aspx