One sided airport debate

PUBLISHED: 17:42 10 September 2008 | UPDATED: 14:08 10 May 2010

IN reply to Cllr Catherine Dean, I do not feel obliged to write in defence of Steve Sartain. Due to my personal circumstances this year I have been out of the political arena and I have never met Steve. I understand he is a seasoned campaigner and perfect

IN reply to Cllr Catherine Dean, I do not feel obliged to write in defence of Steve Sartain. Due to my personal circumstances this year I have been out of the political arena and I have never met Steve. I understand he is a seasoned campaigner and perfectly capable of defending himself if he feels it necessary.

Catherine is absolutely right in what she says, but then so am I. And of course we are both wrong!!

Of course the referendum showed that a sizeable majority (61 per cent of the Uttlesford population if my maths is correct) are against the second runway, but that leaves 39 per cent of the population either in favour or apathetic and by default wouldn't mind if it happened.

My point here is that the debate appears to be one sided and the minority view is not being heard.

History tells us that what has started as minority campaigns have become majority view and won the day when their arguments were heard, or is that what the SSE is afraid of?

Yvonne Morton, Saffron Walden


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter