Town bowls club celebrates 125th birthday
- Credit: Celia Bartlett Photography
Since 1896, Saffron Walden Town Bowling Club has brought has brought joy to players and fans of the sport throughout Essex.
To celebrate its 125th birthday, SWTBC played Bowls England in a friendly match at its green on Abbey Lane.
Bowls England is the national governing body for the sport.
Richard Hughes, acting club chairman, said the anniversary was a cause for celebration.
He said: "SWTBC celebrated its 125th anniversary with a very enjoyable game against a team from Bowls England whose players came from all corners of the country.
"The game was played in wonderful weather and enjoyed by all participants
You may also want to watch:
SWTBC fields teams in leagues across Essex, as well as the national Top Club competition.
The club is competing in this year's North West Essex Bowls Association league, which its 'A' team won in 2019.
For more information about SWTBC, visit: https://www.swtbc.co.uk/
- 1 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 2 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 3 Saffron Screen's new Sunday night film season is For All The Brave Women
- 4 Saffron Walden book giveaway on The Lorax's 50th birthday
- 5 Essex newspapers are 'highly commended'
- 6 National award and recognition for work of a laughter specialist
- 7 Purse stolen from shopper's bag in Aldi supermarket, Walden
- 8 Eco Market celebrates Essex's eco businesses on Great Big Green Week
- 9 Audley End apple festival is this weekend
- 10 Winter wonderland coming to Cambridge as The North Pole ice rink returns