Injury-hit Cambridgeshire stroll to opening Anglia League win
- Credit: CAMBS GOLF
Cambridgeshire's golf team overcome a number of injuries to beat Northants in their opening match of the Anglia league.
Played at Ely City, Cambs were without six squad players meaning Saffron Walden's Graham Goodman, the director of the county's team, had to reshuffle his pack.
But it didn't prove a hinderance as they won 9-3.
The claimed three of the opening foursomes, including debutants Joe York and 16-year-old Jake Plumb, and drew the other.
The first three singles matches were shared, one win, one loss and one draw each and the win came in a solid middle spell thanks to Josh Austin-Tierney's 3&1 victory.
Goodman said: "Being hit by a number of injuries would have affected a number of teams but not with our strength at the moment.
"Everybody in the team contributed and special mention must go to debutants Jake, Joe and stalwart Danny [Loveday] for gaining maximum points and also to Luke [Ryan], Josh and Paul [Hodgkin] for being unbeaten”
- 1 In pictures: Success for Fête de la Musique 2021
- 2 Motion of no confidence - may be held behind closed doors
- 3 Why we refer to 'a pair' of knickers
- 4 In pictures: Medieval landmark Walden Castle is restored
- 5 New outreach Post Office for community
- 6 Saturday recital to mark 200th anniversary of Thaxted organ
- 7 Uttlesford businesses 'disappointed' with Freedom Day delay
- 8 Classical BRIT Award-winning Jess Gillam to play Saffron Hall
- 9 Two teachers smash fundraising target in charity cycle challenge
- 10 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
Alex Kephart and Luke Bowers were the other members of the squad.