Cambridgeshire golfers raring to go ahead of new season
- Credit: GRAHAM GOODMAN
Cambridgeshire's county golf team are all set for what they hope will be a positive and uninterrupted season.
Led by the director of county teams, Saffron Walden's Graham Goodman, the county are defending champions in the Men's Anglia League, the Seniors Anglia League and also the Midland East region after a 2020 that was put on hold because of the pandemic.
The A team hopefuls play the revised winter series on April 25 at St Ives (Hunts) Golf Club and friendlies have been organised against Saffron Walden and other counties before the league season starts in the first week of June.
The season starts for the seniors in a match against Essex on Sunday.
Goodman said: "Last week we selected the first county side in a long time which was very surreal.
"We have an abundance of talent in the county coming through which makes for an exciting season with a number of young players fighting for A team selection.
"The seniors also start soon with new young players coming through."
- 1 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 2 Students share their views on school curriculum
- 3 Walden church open and taking part in Thy Kingdom Come
- 4 Operation Trespass will highlight drugs gangs cuckooing efforts
- 5 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 6 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 7 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 8 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 9 Market Square event organisers "amazed" at popularity of dine-out event
- 10 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
Cambs Golf Union incorporates the clubs at Barkway Park, Heydon Grange and Kingsway.