Hagley and Shepherd claim the two singles titles at Castle Hill Tennis Club
- Credit: CASTLE HILL TENNIS CLUB
Castle Hill Tennis Club have crowned new singles champions after some hugely competitive matches.
The route to the men’s final took place over the course of the summer season with each playing 15 matches in a league against other members of the club.
The top four were Nigel Appleby, Carlos Bascunana Castellanos, Mick Lench and Stuart Shepherd and that quartet played semi-finals to see who would compete for the crown.
It came down to Shepherd and Bascunana Castellanos and under glorious sunshine on the grass centre court, it was the former who ran out the eventual winner, claiming a 6-2 6-4 success.
Bascunana Castellanos made him work hard for it, saving six match points along the way but this was a great return for Shepherd who only re-joined the club this season after being a junior member in the 90s.
The finalists in the ladies singles were Jessica Hagley and Kath Millard and although it was scheduled for the best of three sets, it again only needed two as Hagley took the honours 6-4 6-2.
For more information about the club ring Pete Smith on 01799 520454 or go to www.castlehilltennisclub.co.uk
- 1 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 2 Tributes pour in after death of Essex MP Sir David Amess
- 3 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 4 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 5 Conservative MP David Amess dies after being stabbed in Essex constituency
- 6 Rural ramblers efforts for Helen Rollason Cancer Charity
- 7 It's pumpkin picking season again at Cammas Hall Farm as Halloween approaches
- 8 Thaxted - Carver Scout Group visit an Apache helicopter
- 9 Guitar once owned by Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett to be sold at Cambridge auction
- 10 Historic books have new 'long loan' home to help researchers