Fencing: Saffron Walden Swords say goodbye to Gerry Doe
- Credit: Archant
Saffron Walden Swords fencing club bid a fond farewell to senior coach and co-founder Gerry Doe, who retired recently.
Doe formed the club with local coach Fiona Turnbull in 2009 with the help of an £8,000 grant from Sport England.
And he was thanked by members past and present for introducing a generation of young people to the sport in the town.
Saffron Walden Swords is a relaxed and friendly community sports club with members ranging from novices to experienced fencers.
It is primarily a foil club with some members fencing sabre and epée and the club continues to fence on Saturday mornings at Saffron Walden County High school gymn.
You may also want to watch:
The next session starts on September 8 at 9.30am.
- 1 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 2 Historic structures on Uttlesford heritage list
- 3 Essex County Council to discuss council tax increase of up to £40
- 4 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 5 Campaign seeks free products in Uttlesford's public buildings
- 6 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 7 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 8 Law firm gains Customer Service Excellence award
- 9 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 10 Thaxted Rangers boosted by Co-op donation