Tennis: Flynn serves up a double at The Grove
- Credit: Archant
Clare Flynn had double reason to cheer at Saffron Walden’s The Grove tennis club on Sunday.
Flynn won the ladies doubles with Helen Hillson and the mixed with Stuart McKeonis on a busy day.
Flynn and Hillson beat Jacque Woolley and Clare Jackson 7-5 in the third set, before club coach Tom Bowers, 25, beat 2017 runner-up Kevin Miller, 40, 6-1, 7-5 in the men’s singles.
Miller partnered Adrian Holley to his first Grove title in the mens’ doubles, as they beat Andy Rice and Ed Wells in a three-set encounter.
Rice and Wells won the first 6-3, with Rice serving well, but Miller and Holley began to return better and saved a match point to win a second-set tie break, before taking the third 6-4.
You may also want to watch:
Flynn then returned to the court with MeKeonis and beat Ron Corbett and Rebecca Doe in another three-setter, 2-6, 6-2, 6-0.
Corbett also lost the men’s closed singles final to Frings, 6-0, 6-2.
- 1 Essex County Council approves council tax increase
- 2 Jack Petchey Foundation achievement awards for three Saffron Walden students
- 3 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 4 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 5 Care home residents and staff receive Covid-19 vaccine
- 6 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 7 Town council backs new support club
- 8 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 9 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 10 Historic structures on Uttlesford heritage list