Gold and silver medals for Saffron Walden Hockey Club duo
- Credit: Archant
Two Saffron Walden Hockey Club members have claimed medals for England at the FIH Masters World Cup in Australia.
Jenni Goddard and her over 55s team took gold while the over 60s, including Gisella Gale, won silver in the capital, Canberra.
The tournament, played out on three water-based astroturf pitches, included five age groups of both men and women’s teams coming from Malaysia, South Africa, United States of America, Canada, Germany, New Zealand and hosts Australia.
Goddard’s over 55s sought revenge for an earlier round-robin stage defeat to New Zealand to beat the Kiwis in the final 2-0 for gold.
In the over 60s event, Gale’s side also played New Zealand in their final.
You may also want to watch:
Unfortunately they were beaten 1-0 with the winning goal coming in the closing stages of the match.
Nevertheless it was a superb tournament for Gale, scoring three goals to help her team reach the final.
- 1 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 2 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 3 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 4 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 5 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 6 What it was like travelling abroad during Covid
- 7 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 8 Rape victim urges others to be brave and tell Essex Police
- 9 MasterChef winner Chef Webb's lockdown recipe
- 10 Saffron Hall's Come Together project starts online this month