Golf: Cambridgeshire teams beat ‘Beast from East’ in friendly
- Credit: Archant
Cambridgeshire golf teams finished their match just before the ‘Beast from the East’ arrived last week.
Playing their first friendly of the season, the seniors took on a CAGU team at Saffron Walden GC and ran out winners 4.5-1.5.
There were a number of positives for Graham Goodman’s men, as Terry Ryan and Kevin Diss beat Callum Brookes and Owen Meeds one up.
The seniors had been two down at one stage, but pars on the last four holes sealed victory as Brookes had a three putt on the 18th.
Steve Trench and new partner Keith Moore halved with Luke Ryan and Alfie Guy-Pinkney, having been five down with five to play.
You may also want to watch:
Birdies on the eighth and ninth, plus an eagles on the 10th, were a big help.
Toby Crisp and George Howard won 5&4, Paul Hodgkin and Craig Thorburn won 6&5 and Jason Evans and Oliver Rust won 7&6.
- 1 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 2 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 3 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 4 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 5 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 6 What it was like travelling abroad during Covid
- 7 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 8 MasterChef winner Chef Webb's lockdown recipe
- 9 Rape victim urges others to be brave and tell Essex Police
- 10 Saffron Hall's Come Together project starts online this month
Goodman said: “The match proved a good first outing for the county sides.
“To be successful in our league matches the last few pairings have to deliver and we have the beginnings of that in a strong team.”