Golf: Saffron Walden’s Reeve architects scratch salver win
- Credit: Archant
Saffron Walden Golf Club’s Mark Reeve won the highly-prestigious scratch salver, bringing the club’s highly successful to a close.
The scratch salver rewards the golfer who scores the lowest scratch scores in eight counting events based on points accrued. Reeve managed to score 112 points, ahead of James Vallins (103) and Olly Tuck (55).
Reeve’s best rounds included a quite brilliant 67, 71, 72 and 73. In total he has played 53 qualifiers this year and started the year with a handicap of 3.1. Now it is +0.4.
He has been under par 10 times and Walden have never seen consistently low scores made in a season before.
Scratch captain Graham Goodman said: “Mark has been quite brilliant this year and has been a huge influence with his fellow partner Olly Tuck in driving our success to win the Goddard Cup, CAGU’s premier club competition and also securing promotion back to the top flight of CAGU golf.
You may also want to watch:
“We have had Richard Southall and Tom Duggan remaining unbeaten in our league games and Cam Brown finishing fourth in the CAGU order of merit and being a regular in the CAGU A side.
“As a team we have been formidable this year and still have the trophy night at SWGC to com, and then finish off the year celebrations at the county dinner in December.”
- 1 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 2 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 3 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 4 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 5 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 6 What it was like travelling abroad during Covid
- 7 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 8 MasterChef winner Chef Webb's lockdown recipe
- 9 Rape victim urges others to be brave and tell Essex Police
- 10 Saffron Hall's Come Together project starts online this month
The team take a well earned rest during the winter before pre-season starts in March with friendlies against Bury St Edmunds, Ely, Bourn and CAGU. The quest then starts to regain the division 1 title they last won in 2007, as well as retaining the Goddard Cup.