Golfer in swing Stateside
A YOUNG golfer from Thaxted is swinging his way to success in the States after putting in a good performance in a national event. Saffron Walden Golf Club member Adam Saych, 23, won a golfing scholarship to the Iowa Wesleyan Collage in America and he is p
A YOUNG golfer from Thaxted is swinging his way to success in the States after putting in a good performance in a national event.
Saffron Walden Golf Club member Adam Saych, 23, won a golfing scholarship to the Iowa Wesleyan Collage in America and he is proving to be a valuable member of the college team.
The American National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) preview classic is a competition played out between the top 15 college teams in the country. Held at the Deere Run Course in Silvis Illinois, home of the John Deere Classic, the course was set up to be a stiff challenge.
Hampered by bad weather, the golfers had to battle torrential rain and high winds for the duration of the two-day competition.
You may also want to watch:
Good scores were near impossible and the par for the course was adjusted at the end of the competition to 81, giving Adam a level par round on the first day and a round of 78 on the second. He finished with a total of 159 - the ninth best score out of 75 competitors.
Adam and his teammates surprised everyone by finishing equal forth overall, beating five of the top 10 college teams in America and only four shots off the winning score.
- 1 Long recycling centre queues into the road 'nearly cause accident'
- 2 Council responds to unflattering comments
- 3 High Street shop staff will 'miss Saffron Walden community'
- 4 Footpath sign that points to wall is likened to Harry Potter book
- 5 Airport group's CEO reacts to Covid roadmap and says Budget offers hope
- 6 Boy, five, who could wave cancer goodbye this year dances with twin brother
- 7 MP responds to HuffPost Twitter row
- 8 Another business permanently closes its doors in Saffron Walden
- 9 Flitch Trials rescheduled to 2022
- 10 Boots suffers perfumes theft and damage to doors