Golfer MacDonald has a fine day as Walden put up a fight
- Credit: Archant
Saffron Walden Golf Club’s scratch team took on a strong Cambridgeshire county side at Windmill Hill on Sunday and just missed out on victory.
In the morning foursomes, Cambridgeshire took a 2.5 and 1.5 lead going into lunch following their success in the early competitions.
For Walden, Olly Tuck and Ian Macdonald beat Loveday and Hodgkin 4 and 3-under while Graham Goodman and Louis Martin halved their match against Meeds and Kumar.
In the afternoon singles, Callum Brookes beat Cambridgeshire captain Mark Reeve 3 and 1 going round in four-under par while Macdonald completed a winning day for him individually by beating Hodgkin 3 and 1
Walden halved the two back games with both Goodman and Martin coming back from 4 down after nine holes to halve their games against Kumar and Meeds respectively. Cambridgeshire won the other four games and eventually ran out winners 7.5 and 4.5
You may also want to watch:
Captain Goodman said: “The team really fought hard especially Ian MacDonald performing magnificently.
The academy players played well and Louis Martin showed great determination in halving his foursomes and his singles.”
- 1 Motion of no confidence - may be held behind closed doors
- 2 New outreach Post Office for community
- 3 Uttlesford businesses 'disappointed' with Freedom Day delay
- 4 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 5 In pictures: Medieval landmark Walden Castle is restored
- 6 Saturday recital to mark 200th anniversary of Thaxted organ
- 7 Classical BRIT Award-winning Jess Gillam to play Saffron Hall
- 8 Caught on camera: Motorcyclist feared for life in near-miss
- 9 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
- 10 Draft plans for 49 new Thaxted homes unveiled