Hockey: Saffron Walden U14 boys team conquer all
- Credit: Archant
Saffron Walden U14 boys hockey team overcame powerful opposition on Sunday to qualify for the national finals for the first time in the club’s history.
In the first game the team, containing eight boys from Newport Free Grammar, beat rivals from Felsted,Blue Hornets, 3-1 with the goals coming from Alex Newitt (2) and Barnaby Deller.
Next up were Kent giants Canterbury who were beaten 2-1 with goals from Sam Bushnell and Newitt.
In the winner-takes-all final game Walden beat one of the biggest clubs in the country, Southgate, 3-2, and qualified for a tournament where they will take part as one of the top eight teams in the country, in Wakefield on May 10.
Goals from Kristian Rogers, Newitt and Ethan Webb sealed the victory with Ollie Patmore pulling off an amazing save from a penalty late on.
You may also want to watch:
Freddie Colclough, Saffron Walden’s captain said: “We played against some awesome players but our teamwork and togetherness proved to be a winning formula.”
In a great season for the junior club the girls U10 and boys U12 will be aiming to pull off similar feats in their regional finals after Easter. The U14 boys’ squad was: Dom Bozianu, James Barker, Matt Chaney, Max Benton, Alex Newitt, Joe Jenner-Bailey, Will Turnbull, Ethan Webb, Freddie Colclough, Sam Bushnell, Barnaby Deller, Callam Edwards, Kristian Rogers, Ollie Patmore (GK).
- 1 Motion of no confidence - may be held behind closed doors
- 2 New outreach Post Office for community
- 3 Uttlesford businesses 'disappointed' with Freedom Day delay
- 4 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 5 In pictures: Medieval landmark Walden Castle is restored
- 6 Saturday recital to mark 200th anniversary of Thaxted organ
- 7 Classical BRIT Award-winning Jess Gillam to play Saffron Hall
- 8 Caught on camera: Motorcyclist feared for life in near-miss
- 9 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
- 10 Draft plans for 49 new Thaxted homes unveiled