Hockey: Saffron Walden win promotion to East Men’s League Premier B division
- Credit: Archant
Saffron Walden won promotion to the East Men’s League Premier B for the first time – but the champagne is on ice until the title is sealed.
Walden were too strong for Ford on Saturday, coming away with a 6-0 win. It was their 12th consecutive victory, and now leaves them needing one win from the remaining two games to become champions.
Captain Matt Wells said: “We’re obviously delighted to be promoted but it was quiet celebrations after the game. Our aim was to go up but being so close now we’d be disappointed if we didn’t to go up as champions.
“It’s been a very good season but we need to make sure we don’t waste the hard work and we get the job done. Then we can really celebrate.”
Ben Wells and Tom Kemp both scored twice in the match against Ford, with Josh Charge and a worldy from Tom Taplin wrapping up a comfortable win.
You may also want to watch:
It also took Walden over the 100-goal mark for the season.
Yet it is not in attack where Wells feels the team has most improved.
- 1 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 2 Historic structures on Uttlesford heritage list
- 3 Essex County Council to discuss council tax increase of up to £40
- 4 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 5 Campaign seeks free products in Uttlesford's public buildings
- 6 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 7 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 8 Law firm gains Customer Service Excellence award
- 9 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 10 Thaxted Rangers boosted by Co-op donation
“Our defence has been our most impressive aspect. We’ve kept four clean sheets in a row.
“Last season we scored a lot of goals and won a lot of games, but we also let in a lot as well.
“The difference this season is that it is not just our defenders who are defending. As a team we’ve been much more solid.”
Walden can seal the league title at home against Ipswich on Saturday.