Hockey: Walden ladies retain place at table summit after comfortable win over Pelicans
- Credit: Archant
Saffron Walden recorded their eigth consecutive win in a 9-3 romp over bottom of the table Pelicans.
Katherine Langridge’s early brace gave Walden the perfect start before she set up Emma Deary for their third. Given plenty of space in midfield, Walden were able to dictate play and maintain possession leaving the defenders with little to do.
After good attacking play on the right, Deeds Hill was able to finish a move she started, pushing in from close range.
Walden were sloppy from the restart and conceded from a short corner but responded immediately when Stef Mayle converted a penalty stroke to make it 5-1. Walden refocused and scored a further four goals to Pelicans two.
Julia Westnedge pushed in a rebound before Kate Robinson’s skills twice took her to the back line and crossed to Hill who recorded her hat-trick.
You may also want to watch:
With two minutes remaining Millie Bushnall completed the rout as Walden retained their place as league leaders.
- 1 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 2 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 3 Spurs partnership with Walden clubs is a first in UK
- 4 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 5 This week's paper: Saffron Walden Reporter on July 29, 2021
- 6 £7.5 million cash package sought for new A120 business park
- 7 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 8 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 9 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 10 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100