Hockey: Walden ladies retain place at table summit after comfortable win over Pelicans
- Credit: Archant
Saffron Walden recorded their eigth consecutive win in a 9-3 romp over bottom of the table Pelicans.
Katherine Langridge’s early brace gave Walden the perfect start before she set up Emma Deary for their third. Given plenty of space in midfield, Walden were able to dictate play and maintain possession leaving the defenders with little to do.
After good attacking play on the right, Deeds Hill was able to finish a move she started, pushing in from close range.
Walden were sloppy from the restart and conceded from a short corner but responded immediately when Stef Mayle converted a penalty stroke to make it 5-1. Walden refocused and scored a further four goals to Pelicans two.
Julia Westnedge pushed in a rebound before Kate Robinson’s skills twice took her to the back line and crossed to Hill who recorded her hat-trick.
You may also want to watch:
With two minutes remaining Millie Bushnall completed the rout as Walden retained their place as league leaders.
- 1 In pictures: Success for Fête de la Musique 2021
- 2 Motion of no confidence - may be held behind closed doors
- 3 Why we refer to 'a pair' of knickers
- 4 In pictures: Medieval landmark Walden Castle is restored
- 5 New outreach Post Office for community
- 6 Saturday recital to mark 200th anniversary of Thaxted organ
- 7 Uttlesford businesses 'disappointed' with Freedom Day delay
- 8 Classical BRIT Award-winning Jess Gillam to play Saffron Hall
- 9 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
- 10 Caught on camera: Motorcyclist feared for life in near-miss