Ladies hockey: Walden promoted to NE14 Premier Division as champions
- Credit: Archant
A 2-1 win over Wisbech on Saturday means Walden will be promoted as dDivision 1 champions regardless of the outcome of their remaining two fixtures.
Wisbech, previously unbeaten at home, proved tough opposition but Walden stuck to the task and were rewarded with two goals shortly after the break. Walden, below par in the first half, were sloppy in possession and gave too much time to their opponents on the ball.
Both goalkeepers kept their team in it as Katy Borgeson saved from several Wisbech forwards and then her opposite number prevented Julia Westnedge from getting a shot off when one on one.
Walden started the second half with renewed vigor, forwards harrying the back line and forcing Wisbech to attack down their weaker flank where their play invariably broke down.
Walden won a corner and took the lead when Tash Cox fired in, a good time to score her first of the season.
You may also want to watch:
Having intercepted a weak Wisbech pass, Westnedge doubled the advantage with a shot from the top of the D. After stubbornly defending numerous short corners Walden eventually conceded one and Wisbech were back in the game at 2-1.
Walden missed several chances to extend their lead but were not made to pay as they hung on for the win and all three points.
- 1 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 2 Historic structures on Uttlesford heritage list
- 3 Essex County Council to discuss council tax increase of up to £40
- 4 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 5 Campaign seeks free products in Uttlesford's public buildings
- 6 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 7 Law firm gains Customer Service Excellence award
- 8 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 9 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 10 Thaxted Rangers boosted by Co-op donation