Local football round up

PUBLISHED: 12:08 27 November 2013

Local football round up

Steeple Bumpstead 0 Saffron Rangers 3

Saffron Rangers moved up to 4th place in NMC 2a with a hard-fought win at Steeple Bumpstead.

After a goalless first half, Leke Ojumu opened the scoring on 65 minutes, turning in the rebound after Phil Dillon’s free kick had crashed off the crossbar.

Mat Anthony made it two after good team play, and the decisive third came six minutes from the end when Ojumu slotted past the keeper after breaking free from his marker.

Rangers travel to Great Shelford Reserves on Saturday, kick off 2pm.

Saffron Crocus 4 Duxford United Reserves 0

Two goals apiece for Scott Cummings and Adam Daniels, either side of half time, was enough for Crocus to seal a John Ablett Cup second round victory over Duxford.

It was a solid team performance for Crocus, who had not had a fixture for four weeks.

They face Longstanton Reserves on Saturday in the Cambs Lower Junior Cup.

Saffron Dynamos 0 Sawston Rovers Res 2

Saffron Dynamos crashed to a disappointing defeat on Saturday.

They turned in a poor performance that enabled a Sawston Rovers Reserves with one league win all season to claim the points.

Dynamos had some chances but the final finishing was wayward.

Saffron Rangers Res 4 Thurlow Royal Exchange Res 4

Rangers battled for 90 minutes but were shattered as Thurlow hit an equaliser with virtually the last kick of the game.

They led 3-2 at half time, after goals from Phil Beighton, Andy White and Elliott Meichen, and Beighton added a fourth into the second half with a well-taken free kick.

But the visitors pulled one back with five minutes to play before snatching the late, late leveller.

Littlebury 1 Abacus Athletic 3

Abacus continued their push for promotion with a second victory over arch rivals Littlebury.

Ali Rolfe opened the scoring with a neatly-placed shot, but Littlebury equalised just before half time.

The hosts had the better of the early exchanges in the second half, but Marc Salmon made some crucial saves to keep his side in the game.

Charlie Norris then headed home to put Abacus in front, before Steve Leys put the game beyond Littlebury’s reach.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter