Local youth football round up

PUBLISHED: 10:32 13 May 2014

Plantation Blacks U14 celebrate their cup final success.

Plantation Blacks U14 celebrate their cup final success.


Local youth football round up


Thomas Smith was the penalty shoout-out hero as Plantation won their first trophy, in only their second season

In a tight first half, Plantation enjoyed the best chances and went close twice through Jack Rowley and Cameron Phillips.

Early in the second half Thomas Smith put Blacks in front with a header, but Swavesey played their way back into it to draw level with 10 minutes to go.

The end-to-end encounter continued into extra time, with Jack Cornell and Cam Reams working hard at centre half.

The sides could not be split at the end, so the final went to penalties. Smith saved three Swavesey penalties, and Ethan Williams and Jack Rowley scored theirs to seal the win.

It was a fantastic effort by all the boys.

Delighted manager Mike Rowley: “I’m very proud of this team. They gave everything and deserved to win the trophy.”


Spartak 78 11 Letchworth Garden City Eagles Blues 0

Spartak produced an outstanding winning performance on their penultimate match of the season at home to Letchworth Garden City Eagles Blues.

Spartak dominated from the start winning a corner in the first minute, which was well defended by the visitors. Captain Lukas Sturgeon came close to scoring picking up a pass from Milosz Bielat but the attempt on target was saved.

Tom Bower found himself on the break in the fifth minute but his shot went wide. Spartak won another corner shortly after and the well taken corner kick by Callum Chapman found James Hall who fired home Spartak’s first with a brilliant header.

Spartak carried on dominating the play winning a further corner but Bileat’s header cleared the crossbar. Hudson Rees-Jones picked up in midfield with a through-ball to Hall who buried the ball into the back of the visitors net making it 2-0 in the 10th minute.

Great work on the right wing by Ethan Jarvis resulted in a flick-on to Bower but his shot went over the Letchworth crossbar. Spartak had another attempt from a Rees-Jones cross to Travis Fleetwood but his strike on target was saved. Bower came close again shortly after but was denied by the Letchworth goalie.

Letchworth attempted to create opportunity with a run on the wing but Sammy Carter’s defensive excellence regained Spartak’s possession. Spartak won yet another corner in the 23rd minute, which was well taken by Rees-Jones, picked up by Jarvis who crossed to Hall for his hat-trick and Spartak’s third.

Bower came close again shortly after following a free kick from Bielat. Spartak remained on top when Rees-Jones set up Jarvis for Spartak’s fourth in the 29th minute. Fleetwood had another attempt saved shortly after the restart. Kaine Johnson was denied from a cross from Bower putting the ball just wide of the Letchworth goal just before half time.

Spartak came out with even more determination in the second half. Elliot Orrock denied Letchworth possession by winning numerous tackles and creating further chances for Spartak. Bower found himself on the run in the 40th minute and was nearly denied but the Letchworth keeper couldn’t bring the ball under control and Bower fired home Spartak’s fifth.

Rees-Jones came close again but his shot was saved. Spartak were awarded a free kick and Chapman’s brilliant strike from long-range was unstoppable making it 6-0 in the 43rd minute. Spartak continued the brilliant team effort with an array of attacks on the visitors’ goal. Rees-Jones made it 7-0 in the 45th minute followed by Sturgeon making it 8-0 in the 46th, when he picked up a rebound from a well taken free kick from Johnson.

Rees-Jones grabbed a brace with a dazzling run through the Letchworth defence in the 53rd minute followed by a goal from Bielat set up by Sturgeon in the 55th minute making it 10-0.

Letchworth didn’t give up but were denied any attempts due to defender Adam Peat clearing the ball from the Spartak penalty area time and again. Letchworth were awarded a free kick for a push just outside the 18 yard box and came close with a well taken strike which was cleared off the line with a fantastic header by Bower.

Spartak continued to press on and won two more corners taken brilliantly by Rees-Jones, Bower’s header cleared the crossbar in the 59th minute and Chapman’s strike went wide in the 62nd.

Spartak were awarded another free kick on the left wing, Bower’s skilful strike against the strong wind from the edge of the 18 yard box curled into the Letchworth penalty area and found Sturgeon who made it 11-0 in the 63rd minute.

Spartak keeper Oliver Rowley didn’t allow any real attempts for Letchworth with a confident display throughout the match awarding him his first clean sheet of the season.


James Murfitt and Harry Grosvenor both scored hat-tricks as Manuden U18 crushed Sawbridgeworth 9-0 at Rickling. Further goals from Charles Branston(2) and Michal Earnshaw completed the scoring.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter