Mark Coutts of Saffron Striders completes epic 420-mile canalslam
- Credit: SAFFRON STRIDERS
Saffron Striders' prolific long distance runner Mark Coutts has completed his third and final incredible performance in the uniquely-named Canalslam.
The latest effort was the Liverpool to Leeds canal race over a mammoth distance of 130 miles, an effort which took him 33 hours 49 minutes.
The ultra-run follows up from his previous efforts in the Grand Union Canal Race and the Kennet & Avon Canal Race, making a combined total of 420 miles which he completed in 109 hours 24 minutes.
That placed him fifth among the foolhardy souls who completed all three epic events.
Striders also had representation at the Big Half in London.
Tina Hamilton and Arthur Olivia took part in the event which attracted 10,000 runners, starting at Tower Bridge and finishing by the Cutty Sark in Greenwich.
Saffron Striders meet each Tuesday evening and new members are always welcome, whatever your ability.
Details can be found on www.saffronstriders.org.uk
- 1 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 2 National award and recognition for work of a laughter specialist
- 3 Purse stolen from shopper's bag in Aldi supermarket, Walden
- 4 Delight as triathlon returns to Saffron Walden for 20th edition
- 5 Eco Market celebrates Essex's eco businesses on Great Big Green Week
- 6 Mencap 'thank you' for Dig It community allotment
- 7 Reporter wins award for Uttlesford news articles
- 8 Strong start for Saffron Walden as competitive rugby returns with a bang.
- 9 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 10 New cup and pavilion are dedicated to memory of Colin Bazley