Picture gallery: Hockey: Walden ladies finish season on a high against Cambridge City
- Credit: Archant
Two goals apiece for Claire Harrington and Julia Westnedge ensured Walden’s championship winning season finished with a 4-1 victory over rivals Cambridge City.
Wanting to maintain their impressive unbeaten home record, the hosts started brightly and took the lead when Westnedge pushed in past the unsighted keeper.
City were soon back on level terms as a long ball from the back made it through to the attacker who was allowed to turn and cross giving her team mate a tap in.
For the rest of the half Walden enjoyed more possession and created chances but outcomes in the D were few and scores remained level going into the break.
City were proving stubborn in their resistance but Walden’s frustration was eased when Harrington restored the lead after converting Stef Mayle’s cross.
You may also want to watch:
Walden added a third as good interplay between Mayle and Katherine Langridge set up Westnedge to finish on her reverse.
Harrington’s confident finish made it four and put gloss onto a performance that was, for periods, under par but will not detract from a successful season that sees Walden bounce straight back to the Premier Division.
- 1 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 2 Historic structures on Uttlesford heritage list
- 3 Essex County Council to discuss council tax increase of up to £40
- 4 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 5 Campaign seeks free products in Uttlesford's public buildings
- 6 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 7 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 8 Law firm gains Customer Service Excellence award
- 9 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 10 Thaxted Rangers boosted by Co-op donation