Legends outscore Saffron Walden to take the points

PUBLISHED: 17:01 23 November 2016 | UPDATED: 17:01 23 November 2016

A Saffron Walden evades his despairing opponent. Picture: Jamie Pluck

A Saffron Walden evades his despairing opponent. Picture: Jamie Pluck


Saffron Walden left Legends Lane with a four-try bonus point but could not do enough to claim the victory.

The hosts were first on the scoreboard as they earned a penalty, kicking it to the corner and drove over in the corner to go five points up after only six minutes.

Walden regained the ball from the restart, kicking it long and, as Letchworth tried to pass the ball out of defence, full-back Tom Price intercepted the pass and stormed in under the posts.

He kicked the conversion to put Walden ahead for the only time in the game 7-5.

From then Letchworth were dominant, scoring two well-worked tries to go 19-7 ahead.

Walden rallied when winger Ben Stapleton gathered a long clearing kick deep inside his own half and used his strength and pace to shrug off three tackles.

He found himself in the clear with just the full-back to beat with outside centre Matt McClagan on his shoulder and a perfect pass put him under the posts.

Letchworth stretched their lead to 24-14 just before half-time as Walden dropped off a couple of tackles out wide.

Walden looked to attack early in the second half, enjoying several phases of possession in the home 22 but this time Letchworth were the beneficiaries of an interception as their winger raced 80 metres to score against the run of play.

This gave the home side confidence and they scored another converted try again 13 minutes into the second period to pull further ahead.

Walden did not let their heads go down and stayed in the hunt with winger Adam Miles using a mixture of pace and determination to get over the line.

However Walden yet again could not contain the Letchworth attack and they scored their seventh try to once again stretch the lead to 43-21.

With still 10 minutes to go Letchworth had a player sent-off when a scuffle broke out and he charged over from distance, using his forearm to smash a Walden player in the head.

This nearly changed the game as Walden used their extra man to good effect with captain James Gosden going over as he supported a break by the backs.

Then Miles notched his second on the outside and Walden, with five minutes still to go, had narrowed the gap to 43-35.

Needing another score to add a losing bonus point to the try bonus point, Walden kept pounding away but it was all in vain as they worked their way into the Letchworth half.

Replacement scrum-half Conor McCabe thought he had found space on the blindside but was tackled into touch to end an enthralling game.

Walden entertain Thurrock this Saturday with a 2.30pm kick-off.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter