Saffron Walden snag nine tries to go top of London 2NE

PUBLISHED: 12:12 10 December 2015 | UPDATED: 12:12 10 December 2015

Saffron Walden RFC's Mark Kimberley scores a try against Rochford. Picture: Jamie Pluck

Saffron Walden RFC's Mark Kimberley scores a try against Rochford. Picture: Jamie Pluck


Saffron Walden moved to the top of London 2NE on points difference as they made light work of a howling gale throughout to beat Rochford 60-24 in front of a big Henham crowd.

The hosts wrapped up the four-try bonus point inside the first half-hour as Paul Marshall, Tom Price, Brad Baker and Matt Holden raced over, and they added two more tries before the break courtesy of Mark Kimberley and debutant Ross Ferguson.

Sailing at 38-3 ahead going into the second half, Adam Miles turned in two tries either side of Mitch Clare’s effort and Holden completed his double and the rout.

Right from the kick-off. Walden showed their intent inside two minutes as right winger Miles chased it down sliding onto the loose ball five metres from the try-line, and he popped it up to Marshall who dived over unopposed.

Five minutes later Rochford were within touching distance for the only time in the game. Walden were caught offside giving the visitors a penalty to reduce the deficit to 7-3, their points of a one-sided half.

The next 15 minutes showed why Walden are serious title contenders with Price, following a break by fly half Hughes, second row Baker and flanker Holden all going over to give Walden a stranglehold on the game.

At 28-3, Rochford were in danger of a hammering at the hands of Walden.

There was then a slight respite for the stunned visitors but two further tries just before half-time effectively sealed the win.

The fifth try came as Walden broke out of defence passing down the line and Kimberley this time used his pace to round the cover, with two men in support he dummied the last man to go over in the corner.

Then on the stroke of half-time another break by the Walden backs saw left winger Ferguson receive a perfectly timed pass to dive over.

With the gale now with Rochford as expected, they looked to come back strongly and they were first on the scoreboard in the second half as they attacked Walden’s line.

Eventually gaining a penalty and taking it quickly they dived over to narrow the gap to 38- 10.

Any thoughts of a sustained comeback were soon quashed as from the restart, Miles charged down the clearance kick gathering the ball to score.

Rochford scored next 43- 17 but yet again Walden hit back as centre Clare latched on to a clever pass and was through under the posts to take the scoreboard up to 50 points.

Rochford to their credit never let their heads go down and scored their third try with 15 minutes to go 50-24 up.

But Walden denied the visitors any further tries with some good defence and Miles and Holden who ran up the blind side subjecting the Rochford winger to the Maori side step as both players got their second try each.

Walden next travel to Romford on Saturday.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter