Second-half Brentwood blitz blows Saffron Walden away

PUBLISHED: 15:29 02 November 2016 | UPDATED: 15:29 02 November 2016

Tom Price looks to offload the pass

Tom Price looks to offload the pass


A dominant second-half home showing proved too hot for visiting Saffron Walden as the visitors were handed their fourth league defeat of the season.

Bristling with confidence after the previous Saturday’s mammoth 71-48 victory over Fullerians, Walden had the advantage of the slope in the first half, but it was the home team who had the best of the opening exchanges.

However, some resolute Walden defence held them off.

Walden were edging it in the scrums, winning a couple of balls against the head and securing clean ball on their own put-ins, getting them on the front foot, and they looked like scoring on a couple of occasions.

Nevertheless, it was Brentwood who were first on the scoreboard after 25 minutes with a converted try.

The away side hit back with a penalty when Brentwood were caught slowing the ball at the breakdown and full-back Tom Price narrowed the gap to 7-3 after 28 minutes.

Almost straight from the kick-off Walden regained possession and kicked deep into the Brentwood half.

The full-back caught the ball and kicked long but Price was on hand to catch it on the halfway line and, with the wingers in support, he jinked past the first line of defence and ran at pace towards the 22-metre line.

With one player to beat he passed to right winger Ivan Karsten who ran in unopposed.

Price converted to put Walden 10-7 up on the half-hour mark.

From the restart Walden tried to run out of their half but an errant pass was intercepted by a Brentwood player and a couple of phases later they scored their second try to leave the half-time score at 14-10.

The second half was dominated by Brentwood, now playing with the slope in the favour.

They did not allow Walden any time on the ball and, egged on by a vociferous crowd, they seemed to get most of the 50/50 decisions, especially in the scrums.

But who could argue with the final result when they managed to score five more tries in the half and despite Walden getting close on two or three occasions, they just could not get the ball over the line.

With no real cover on the bench Walden did not have any fresh legs to bring on, preferring not to risk someone who was nursing an injury from the previous week when the game was already slipping away from them.

They will try and regroup for Saturday’s game when they host Eton Manor, a side who sit two places above them in the league

Kick-off is 2.30pm.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter