Saffron Walden crowned champions
- Credit: Archant
Saffron Walden Hockey Club have been crowned league champions.
Saturday bought the close of the season and Saffron had hoped to finish in style with a win at Stevenage.
But after a mix-up their opponents conceded the game.
Walden won the league by a comfortable eight-point margin and the best goal difference thanks largely to forward Georgina Turtle’s goal tally, solid keeping from Claire Pargeter and captain Karen Totty’s experience.
Elsewhere, a brace from Mads Newitt and a short corner strike from Harriet Barker weren’t quite enough for the 1sts as they went down 4-3 to Sudbury.
You may also want to watch:
The 3rds gave a good account of themselves against a strong Leighton Buzzard team.
Having gone behind they struck back immediately after Sam Pluck crossed and Josie Stock deflected it in.
- 1 Free vegetarian meal service launched
- 2 Robbers leave with hundreds of pounds after threatening business staff
- 3 Great Anglia named train operator of the year
- 4 Long recycling centre queues into the road 'nearly cause accident'
- 5 Council responds to unflattering comments
- 6 District council urged to cancel investment
- 7 St Clare Hospice 10k run set to take place this April
- 8 Thefts from village cars cause hundreds of pounds in losses
- 9 Controversial investment is ethical, district councillors say
- 10 Aircraft museum celebrates 85 years since the Spitfire's maiden flight
They held on until the final minutes when the away side stole the win.