Saffron Walden Golf Club ladies reach semi final of the Jean Wilkinson Trophy in great style
- Credit: Archant
SAFFRON Walden ladies reached the semi-final of the Jean Wilkinson Trophy, and in some style.
A superb 6-1 win in their final match of the group stage of the county trophy leaves Walden on top of Group 4. They are clear by nine points having won five of their six matches, drawing the other one.
The team of Barbara Nicoll, Viv Dondi, Helen Porter, Jaine Fieldhouse, Corinne Parmentier, Sangdao Jackson and Judy Saunders, pictured, were understandably tense approaching the home match against the Links, Newmarket last Thursday.
The windy conditions did not help matters either.
But they kept their nerve, and most matches were won convincingly, with the final result ending 12-2.
You may also want to watch:
“The team played their socks off and well and truly beat Newmarket,” said ladies captain Marjory Smith.
“The wonderful team efforts of all who have played this season, not forgetting our willing reserves, caddies and supporters, means we are now in the semi-finals.
- 1 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 2 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 3 Spurs partnership with Walden clubs is a first in UK
- 4 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 5 This week's paper: Saffron Walden Reporter on July 29, 2021
- 6 £7.5 million cash package sought for new A120 business park
- 7 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 8 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 9 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 10 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100
“It has been far from easy getting this far – the opposition has been strong and conditions at times often tricky.”
The team can now enjoy a well-earned summer break before the semi-finals at the beginning of September.