Saffron Walden Golf Club ladies reach semi final of the Jean Wilkinson Trophy in great style
- Credit: Archant
SAFFRON Walden ladies reached the semi-final of the Jean Wilkinson Trophy, and in some style.
A superb 6-1 win in their final match of the group stage of the county trophy leaves Walden on top of Group 4. They are clear by nine points having won five of their six matches, drawing the other one.
The team of Barbara Nicoll, Viv Dondi, Helen Porter, Jaine Fieldhouse, Corinne Parmentier, Sangdao Jackson and Judy Saunders, pictured, were understandably tense approaching the home match against the Links, Newmarket last Thursday.
The windy conditions did not help matters either.
But they kept their nerve, and most matches were won convincingly, with the final result ending 12-2.
You may also want to watch:
“The team played their socks off and well and truly beat Newmarket,” said ladies captain Marjory Smith.
“The wonderful team efforts of all who have played this season, not forgetting our willing reserves, caddies and supporters, means we are now in the semi-finals.
- 1 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 2 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 3 Saffron Screen's new Sunday night film season is For All The Brave Women
- 4 Saffron Walden book giveaway on The Lorax's 50th birthday
- 5 Essex newspapers are 'highly commended'
- 6 National award and recognition for work of a laughter specialist
- 7 Eco Market celebrates Essex's eco businesses on Great Big Green Week
- 8 Purse stolen from shopper's bag in Aldi supermarket, Walden
- 9 Audley End apple festival is this weekend
- 10 Winter wonderland coming to Cambridge as The North Pole ice rink returns
“It has been far from easy getting this far – the opposition has been strong and conditions at times often tricky.”
The team can now enjoy a well-earned summer break before the semi-finals at the beginning of September.