Golf: Saffron Walden lift Goddard Cup
- Credit: Archant
Saffron Walden Golf Club’s scratch team won the Goddard Cup for the first time since 2014 after a 7-5 win over Ramsey.
They had to come from 3-1 down in the foursomes, after Ryan Adair and Callum Brookes (two down), Richard Southall and Cam Brown (3&2) and Olly Tuck and Spencer Burlingham (3&1) all lost.
Graham Goodman and Louis Martin won 6&4, after two birdies on the front nine, a wedge to six inches on the 12th and birdie on 13.
And Adair won the first singles 3&2 after lunch, before Burlingham lost 4&3.
Brooks (3&1) putted well, as Tuck (4&3) played consistent golf and Southall (4&3) birdied the 10th, only for Brown to lose two down to make it 5-5 overall.
You may also want to watch:
Foursomes hero Goodman sealed a 4&2 win after cutting from a fairway bunker around the front of the hole on 16 and youngster Martin (4&3) sealed Walden’s win as he carded three birdies in an impressive display.
- 1 Essex County Council approves council tax increase
- 2 Jack Petchey Foundation achievement awards for three Saffron Walden students
- 3 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 4 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 5 Care home residents and staff receive Covid-19 vaccine
- 6 Town council backs new support club
- 7 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 8 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 9 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 10 Greater Anglia temporarily reduces train services due to pandemic