First tournament win of year delights Saffron Walden tennis pro Ali McGee
- Credit: ANDREW MILLIGAN/PA
Lawn Tennis Association coach Ali McGee claimed her first tournament win of the season in Welwyn Garden City.
The Saffron Walden professional was playing at the Gosling Sports Park Central & East Tour event.
The first two rounds of the draw proved uncomplicated, allowing McGee to settle into the matches with a comfortable rhythm and take an early lead in each of them.
It placed her in a final against the number one seed, Alison Sanders, and as expected this was not as straight forward.
Each set went to a tie-break with Sanders utilising her huge first serve.
However, McGee quickly got on top of that to take the first set and although she lost the second, the faultless serve of McGee in the third, together with her dictating of rallies and picking up crucial points in the tight moments, saw her win 4-3 3-4 10-4.
McGee said: "I am delighted with the outcome. My game was solid and I was serving well in the tight moments which gained me the edge.
- 1 Plan to ease congestion at M11 junction 8 gets underway
- 2 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 3 Road building not the answer to Essex's transport woes, says campaigner
- 4 Driver shortage leaves Walden pupil without school transport
- 5 Solar farm planning application near Thaxted
- 6 Suspected crowbar assault leaves Stansted driver with serious injuries
- 7 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 8 Saffron Striders enjoy home leg of inter-club cross-country championship
- 9 Experience University of Cambridge Museums' free Twilight with the Museums sleepover at home
- 10 Plans for 18 houses in Countryside Protection Zone near Stansted Airport
"Sanders was a tough opponent, it was a good final."
McGee is currently ranked 294 in the UK.