Saffron Walden tour ends in victory
SWIMMING competitions, day trips, hotel stays and of course rugby were all on the menu as the Saffron Walden U14s embarked on a post-season tour in sunny Jersey.
Despite only one win, Walden managed five tries during the four-match tournament, from George Rains (3) Joseph Coles and Andrew Smith, as they celebrated a successful year that saw them win 13 of their 19 games during the league season.
They were up against tough opposition in south London side Old Alleynian and a tough tackling Jersey side but overcame the hosts 22-5 in the final game of the tournament.
Playing in hot conditions during the weekend-long tournament Walden gave a decent account of themselves but were out-muscled by imposing opposition. Old Alleynians went on to win the event but Walden restored pride with their final match win.
After a lunch in the grand surroundings of the Jersey clubhouse, gifts and mementos were exchanged between the three clubs and the tourists headed back to the airport to fly back to Luton.
You may also want to watch:
“The great thing about a tour like this is that the players experience different things, they learn something new about themselves and their teammates, and I know that they have all thoroughly enjoyed their time in Jersey,” commented Head Coach Paul Finch. “We are most grateful for the commitment shown by the organisers and parents who accompanied the trip.”
As for the spontaneous swimming competition against their hosts, arranged by the Saffron boys, they won 3-1.
- 1 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 2 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 3 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 4 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 5 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 6 Campaign seeks free products in Uttlesford's public buildings
- 7 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 8 Saffron Hall's Come Together project starts online this month
- 9 Rape victim urges others to be brave and tell Essex Police
- 10 Team Laptop launches to support children's learning