Heartbreak for Saffron Walden Town as late goal and penalty defeat sends them out of FA Vase
- Credit: Archant
Saffron Walden Town bowed out of the FA Vase on penalties after an enthralling 3-3 draw with Whitton United.
Three times the Catons Lane hosts took the lead but they were pegged back for the last occasion in stoppage time and with no extra-time and replays in this year’s Vase, the final whistle meant both teams had to face the nerve-shredding shoot-out.
And it was the Ipswich-based side who emerged victorious, winning 4-1.
The Bloods took the lead for the first time on 15 minutes through Lewis Francis but it was all-square by half-time with Tom Bradlaugh scoring for the Eastern Counties League Premier Division side.
Walden retook the lead through Craig Calver and were back in front on 81 minutes via a Gavin Cockman goal, scored after George Dobson had equalised.
You may also want to watch:
However, George Day’s leveller led to the home side’s exit at the first attempt.
- 1 Sam Smith to headline charity festival fundraising to fight food poverty
- 2 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 3 Historic structures on Uttlesford heritage list
- 4 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 5 Families take part in Gain the Miles challenge
- 6 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 7 Covid vaccinations given at the Lord Butler
- 8 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 9 Laptops, iPads and Chromebooks being sent to let children learn remotely
- 10 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire