Heartbreak for Saffron Walden Town as late goal and penalty defeat sends them out of FA Vase
- Credit: Archant
Saffron Walden Town bowed out of the FA Vase on penalties after an enthralling 3-3 draw with Whitton United.
Three times the Catons Lane hosts took the lead but they were pegged back for the last occasion in stoppage time and with no extra-time and replays in this year’s Vase, the final whistle meant both teams had to face the nerve-shredding shoot-out.
And it was the Ipswich-based side who emerged victorious, winning 4-1.
The Bloods took the lead for the first time on 15 minutes through Lewis Francis but it was all-square by half-time with Tom Bradlaugh scoring for the Eastern Counties League Premier Division side.
Walden retook the lead through Craig Calver and were back in front on 81 minutes via a Gavin Cockman goal, scored after George Dobson had equalised.
You may also want to watch:
However, George Day’s leveller led to the home side’s exit at the first attempt.
- 1 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
- 2 Caught on camera: Motorcyclist feared for life in near-miss
- 3 Draft plans for 49 new Thaxted homes unveiled
- 4 Walden Wombles hold their first litter pick
- 5 In pictures: Medieval landmark Walden Castle is restored
- 6 New outreach Post Office for community
- 7 New interim chief executive for district council
- 8 Mental health trust fined following 11 deaths
- 9 The number of Indian variant Covid cases in Uttlesford
- 10 Linton pupils join 362,000-strong school choir