Calver strike enough for Saffron Walden Town to secure FA Cup progression

PUBLISHED: 09:24 08 August 2016 | UPDATED: 09:24 08 August 2016

Saffron Walden Town's Craig Calver battles his man. Picture: Dominic Davey

Saffron Walden Town's Craig Calver battles his man. Picture: Dominic Davey


Saffron Walden Town will face Long Melford in the FA Cup preliminary round after Craig Calver’s second-half strike saw off Mildenhall Town 1-0 at Catons Lane on Saturday.

This was a full-blooded encounter with neither side giving an inch.

Calver’s 69th-minute goal proved to be the only difference between the two sides.

Scoring opportunities were generally infrequent, although the first attempt at goal was a long-range dipping shot from Calver which was saved low down by Josh Pope.

#After a stoppage for an injury in the 19th minute, the Mildenhall keeper used the direct route, with a long kick, which Dan Brown stretched to reach but could only steer it wide.

Calver then had two shots from outside the penalty area but both curled over the bar.

Four minutes before the interval, Brown got on the end of a right-wing cross but again his effort could only be steered into the side-netting.

Two minutes later Calver’s shot was deflected to the over-lapping Ryan Dewey, but his shot flashed over the bar.

Five minutes into the second half Calver got in a good cross from the left wing which Graeme Turner headed over the bar.

Shaun Avis, who had returned to the club after a year’s absence, made an appearance as substitute in the 65th minute, and within a minute of coming on, managed to deliver a dangerous cross to the far post.

The decisive moment in the match came in the 69th minute when Calver received the ball about 20 yards out from goal.

He side-stepped a defender and unleashed an unstoppable shot into the bottom corner.

One flash point in the match saw Calver clattered three times in quick succession as he broke from midfield in the 73rd minute, but the referee did well to disperse the players quickly after they gathered around the incident.

The outcome was that Mildenhall’s Matt Green and Calver both received yellow cards.

The match continued to be tough and uncompromising until the end but the Bloods held on for a notable win in front of another good Catons Lane crowd.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter