Football round up

PUBLISHED: 16:50 01 February 2011




Youth football round up for the Saffron Walden area. Send yours in. E-mail


Thaxted Rangers Blues 0

Rayne Youth 2

THAXTED started the game very strongly and kept the momentum going for the whole game. Edward Wilson rattled the crossbar, Mason Allington hit the post twice and Thaxted forced corner after corner.

The home side saw two headers go just wide and the Rayne keeper was in excellent form to make save after save, but it was Rayne on the break who scored the first with a very well taken goal.

The second half saw the same excitement but the home side couldn’t get that equalising goal, Toby Fletcher, Thaxted’s Man of the Match, came close, Joe Osborn and Samuel Skinner created chances, even Thaxted’s defenders, Angus Gemmill and Chris Donlon, came close.

Ellis Sidders was great in midfield and it took a deflected free kick, which left Felix Robarts with no chance, for Rayne to make it 2-0.


Spartak 78 5

Comberton Crusaders 0

SPARTAK marched into the quarter finals of the Cambs knock out cup with a convincing 5-0 home win against Comberton Crusaders.

They took the lead after six minutes when Brad burst through and tucked the ball away. It wasn’t surprising to see Brad grab another opportunity to make it 2-0 a few minutes later.

Then Lukas got in the act and another cool finish gave the home side a deserved 3-0 lead. Spartak had the best possible start to the second half when Brad grabbed his hat-trick, quickly pouncing on the loose ball to score from six yards.

Comberton now saw more of the ball and the Spartak defence were well up to the task and good keeping from Travis ensured they kept a clean sheet. Spartak got their 5th and final goal of the game when Ethan showed some neat tricks to beat a defender and score with a low shot from just inside the box.

Plantation Panthers 3

Bottisham 2

A DETERMINED Plantation performance saw them fall behind twice in this knockout cup match before rallying to claim a last gasp winner.

Although dominating for large spells the hosts found themselves 1-0 down after five minutes when a long punt down field resulted in a goal for the visitors.

Panthers were level after 10 minutes as Ollie Newman broke down the left, beat a visiting defender, and fired home.

Josh Boyd’s long range lob almost gave Plantation the lead after 21 minutes but a well judged save ensured the half ended level.

An early second half goal for Bottisham after 29 minutes saw the home side chasing the game again. However, four minutes later, the dependable Newman was on hand to grab the equaliser in similar fashion to his first strike.

Plantation pressed for the winner but extra time looked inevitable. With just a minute of normal time remaining Newman collected the ball on the right and fed across the box to Dylan Hider. A clean strike from Hider, with his left foot, saw the back of the net bulge as he took his side through to the fourth round.


Steeple Bumpstead Dynamos 0

Saffron Walden Town 13

ON a bitterly cold morning Walden tried to warm up the crowd with a ruthless display of finishing for their biggest win of the season. Marco Passfield led the way with four goals, Marc Tucker and Ronnie Ledwith both scored two, with one each from a Bumpstead own goal, Ollie Patmore, Cameron Reams, Archie Muir and Byron Carter with his first for the club.

Manuden Juniors 3

Pin Green 5

MANUDEN failed to capitalise on a bright start in which they led 2-0 after 15 minutes. Despite a Callum Macmillan hat-trick, they were undone by a fine Pin Green fight back.

Manuden took an early through a deft close-range header from Callum Macmillan. Manuden doubled their lead after 15 minutes when a fine cross from Toby Davies was brought down expertly by Callum Macmillan to strike cleanly from 12 yards.

But a spirited Pin Green fight back saw them lead 3-2 at half-time. Further goals from Pin Green saw them lead 5-2. But a period of Manuden pressure, led by Chris McDonald in midfield, saw Callum Macmillan get his third with five minutes to go to gave Manuden a glimmer of hope. However, Pin Green held on for a deserved victory.

Great Bardfield 2

Plantation 2

PLANTATION produced a good performance against high flying Bardfield recording a 2-2 draw.

After going in front through Oliver early on the game was end to end with many chances being created.

The home team stormed back to lead 2-1 and it took a good effort from the boys to make it 2-2 with Oliver’s second goal.

Stand-in coach Gary Clarke said afterwards “With Duncan and Mike away on a scouting mission in Brussels, I was always going to struggle motivating the boys, but they can be really proud of this well earned point.”


Needlingworth 1

Spartak 10

A GOOD start by Spartak saw them take control. A scrappy goal from Callum Courtney was quickly followed by an easy tap in from Freddie Jones following a great pass from George Silvester.

Some slack defending saw the home side get one back. But in the second half Spartak took total control. Two goals from Silvester, a long range effort from William Purkiss, then three from Courtney, one from Matt Tucker, and an own goal rounded off a fine display.

Walpole Warriors 3

Plantation Youth 11

A BRILLIANT performance saw the greens dominate possession and score double figures for the second time this season.

A double hat trick from Ed Benfold, a hat trick from Barnaby Hughes, one from Ollier Rand and one from Owen Eddershaw made up the goals for the greens.

Plantation played with such force going forward that the home team’s goal was constantly under siege, with Finbar Potter and Jake Slade both coming close.

Stephen Catherine was once again solid in the middle of the park and was a key figure the entire game. Plantation now increase their winning run to seven games and go five points clear of 4th place. Man of the match went to Ed Benfold for his goal scoring performance.

Uplands Rangers 0

Thaxted Rangers 6

THIS was the fourth time these two sides have met this season and for the third time Thaxted came away winners. The visitors started brightly and Grayden Thorpe confidently opened the scoring from a well placed through ball by Tim Jossaume.

Joe Carey was quick to score the second when he picked the ball up from the halfway line and with a one-on-one with the keeper slotted the ball just inside the far post.

In the second half Thaxted continued to push forward and Joe Carey took advantage of the ball slipping through the keepers hands to make it 3-0. Carey then scored his first hat-trick for the club when his long range shot was deflected past the keeper.

Uplands started to pressure the Thaxted defence but keeper Evan Sunshine was quick to deal with any loose balls. The hosts were unable to keep the play in the Thaxted area and Callum Sparrow’s shot deflected to Rory Mercer to make it 5-0.

The best was saved until last when, in the last minute, Tim Jossaume passed the ball out wide to Mercer who crossed ball into the box, to be met perfectly by James Benstead who headed home a much deserved goal.


Plantation Youth 3

Buckden Juniors 2

WITH the league already won, a spirited performance from Plantation Youth saw them progress in the Under 13s Knock out cup and keep alive the dream of a double.

Buckden Juniors started strong but Plantation absorbed the pressure and a clinical strike from Marks saw them take a deserved lead. A penalty saw the visitors draw level only to be thwarted again when Stockton slotted the ball into the net to regain the lead.

In the second half Buckden drew level again from a wicked deflection. With their tails up, they enjoyed much of the better play for the next 10 minutes drawing two great saves form Broughall. The lead was restored with a superbly worked goal which Ben Thomas buried in the back of the net. The hosts saw out the closing stages of the game and await to meet their opponents in the next round.


Cherry Hinton Lions 0

Spartak 78 Blacks 2

SPARTAK did just enough to take all three points in a close match against old rivals Hinton.

They welcomed back Harry Sharp after a three and a half month lay-off with an injury but were missing both regular central defenders and took time to settle.

Early on Jack Holliday hit the post from a tight angle but for a period neither side created any more clear cut chances. The deadlock was broken when a mishit clearance by the Hinton keeper found Harry Goddard who coolly squared the ball to Holliday who shot into an empty net.

John Clarke maintained Spartak’s lead by making a good save at the feet of a Cherry Hinton forward before Holliday scored his second when the Hinton keeper could only push his shot onto the underside of the bar. With Nicky Thompson in particular winning a lot of balls in midfield Spartak looked as if they might go on to score more goals but they were lucky to go into half time with their 2-0 lead intact after Hinton hit the cross bar and John Clarke made another excellent save.

The home side came out the stronger team at the start of the second half but Spartak managed to hold out for the win.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter