Local football round up

PUBLISHED: 17:47 27 January 2014 | UPDATED: 17:47 27 January 2014

Local football round up

Steeple Bumpstead 0 Great Chesterford 2

Great Chesterford got back on track as they saw off a well-drilled Steeple Bumpstead side.

It was the team’s first clean sheet of the season, with goalkeeper Adrian Baker putting in his best performance of the campaign.

Steve Leys and Chris Francis both went close but it was to be the former who set Chesterford on their way with a trademark finish, beating two defenders before curling the ball past the keeper from an acute angle.

Chesterford continued to press and were two goals to the good when once again the impressive forward partnership of Leys and Francis continued to cause havoc, and this time some good work from Leys set up his partner who coolly clipped the ball into the back of the net.

Bumpstead came out fighting after the break and to their credit did everything but score, an in-form Adrian Baker in the Chesterford goal refusing to be beaten. Despite carrying an injury, the keeper cleared two of the line and saved well from a fierce strike.

Chesterford rode the storm and saw the game out.

They travel to Saffron Rangers on Saturday.

Glemsford & Cavendish 0 Saffron Crocus 1

A vital strike from Scott Childs earned the points for Crocus, yet both teams missed chances throughout this open match.

It was the visitors who started strongest with wingers Iain Lecky and Adam Daniels receiving lots of the ball and creating chances. They opened the scoring when Childs controlled then poked home a Ross Millard corner from close range.

The second half proved to be frustrating for both sides. The home side pushed hard for an equaliser but drew a blank after a combination of missed chances and superb goalkeeping from Scott Smith.

The three points keep Crocus in contention for promotion.

Saffron Rangers Reserves 5 Finchingfield 1

Phil Beighton hit a treable as Rangers ran riot against struggling Finchingfield

They got of to the perfect start when Aaron Ridgewell knocked the ball home. Finchingfield responded to level the score but Rangers then began to dominate. Beighton lobbed the keeper to make it two, and Ridgewell grabbed his second with a tap-in.

Beighton added two more to complete the hat-trick after the break.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter