Local football round up

PUBLISHED: 22:16 24 March 2014 | UPDATED: 22:16 24 March 2014




Local football round up

Great Chesterford 2 Meldreth 0


Great Chesterford extended their unbeaten league run to an impressive 19 games, stretching back to early September.

They started well with plenty of possession but without creating any real threat. Josh Saggers went close with a thunderbolt and Jamie Williams saw his effort well saved.

Meldreth offered little threat, but with their only shot on target they managed to force Adrian Baker into a superb save, with the goalkeeper getting down quickly to a snap shot.

The opening goal came in good fashion with Chesterford playing their trademark passing game. Steve Leys crossed in for the unmarked Chris Francis who found the back of the net just before half time.

Chesterford were looking for the second goal to kill the game off and came out fighting. Ben Hornby, James Butcher and Mark Butcher all tested the busy Meldreth stopper but the game was finally sewn up after Hornby put through Leys who clipped the ball past the despairing keeper to score his 29th goal of the campaign.

Johnny Lambert was next to bring a good save from the away keeper with the last kick of the game, but that was to be that and Chesterford had earned another all important victory.

Chesterford only have three league fixtures remaining and still have to play title rivals Haverhill Borough.

Whittlesford 5 Duxford 2

Whittlesford came out on top of the local derby.

They raced into a five goal lead with strike from James Heslam , Max Annette, James Reeves, Brad Green and Steve Manyion. Duxford replied with two late goals.



Shelford & Stapleford Whites 1 Saffron Walden Blacks 0

Saffron Walden Blacks put it a great defensive effort to restrict one of the best sides in the region to a 1-0 scoreline.

Walden knew they would have to defend in numbers against the only unbeaten side in division A of the Cambridgeshire mini soccer league.

An excellent team effort stifled the Shelfor attacks as the score remained goalless at half time.

The home team’s breakthrough came soon into the second half.

Walden did not let their heads go down and for the remainder of the match, as the game got stretched they had the lion’s share of opportunities with a couple of swift counter attacks only stopped by last ditch defending from Shelford.

Special praise went to Ciaran Mone who stepped in as goalkeeper at the last moment.


Planation Blacks 3 Red Lodge 2

Blacks are through to the final of the cup following a superb cup run.

Sam Whelan opened the scoring with a composed finish and a Matty Barton penalty made it 2-0. Red Lodge, who had won 12 from 12 going into the match, proved they were a good side and reduced the score.

But a strong Jack Rowley strike proved significant as they went on to win 3-2.


Manuden travelled the short distance to Sawbridgeworth for the local derby and came away with a 4-2 win. Goalscorers were James Murfitt (2), Brad Godfrey and Cameron Johnstone.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter