Welwyn Garden City up next for Saffron Walden Town in FA Vase after super away comeback

PUBLISHED: 15:03 27 September 2016

Shaun Avis scores

Shaun Avis scores


Two goals in the final eight minutes from Joe Murphy and Shaun Avis saw Saffron Walden Town advance in the FA Vase, beating 10-man FC Broxbourne Borough 2-1 on the road on Saturday.

Walden started the match in good form and had a glimpse at an early goal when Matt Snelling’s free-kick flashed across the front of the Broxbourne keeper and just missed Perry Moody’s timed run by inches.

In the fifth minute Craig Calver tried to test the Broxbourne keeper from distance, but his long-range, curling effort was just wide of the post. Shortly after, the Walden defence were tested by a dangerous far-post cross which saw Broxbourne’s Leon Lewis head the ball wide of the post.

Lewis was then booked after his effort when Walden’s keeper Lee Pacey was impeded when he tried to clear the ball.

Right-back Charlie Dicker was then called into action, after an effort from Broxbourne was deflected and heading into an empty goal.

Dicker got back and scooped the ball away in the nick of time to deny Broxbourne the lead.

Walden thought they had the lead on 21 minutes.

Graeme Turner headed the ball into the back of the net after a great cross by Craig Calver, but unfortunately the goal was ruled offside.

Moments after the disallowed goal, Broxbourne’s Jamie Brandon broke free after a defensive error and slotted the ball passed Pacey to give the hosts an undeserved one-goal lead.

James Crane had the best chance of the half when he controlled the ball in the area, managed to turn the defender, but his shot was well-saved by Graham Loki.

Unfortunately Crane’s match was over prematurely as he was substituted for new signing Richard Chadwick due to a heavy knee into the side of his body.

Chadwick gave a difference to the match as he looked to impress on his return to the Bloods.

He caused the defence issues and almost scored in the 39th minute with a looping header that flew over the bar.

Into the second half and almost on the hour, Calver had two good chances to level the match.

His first chance from distance went wide of the target and his second chance saw his scuffed shot comfortably saved by Loki.

With Broxbourne heading for the next round, Walden struck back.

Murphy received the ball in the area and calmly struck it into the back of the net.

With just eight minutes to go, Walden continued to work hard for the winning goal and not force the match into extra-time.

A minute from added-time Calver was tripped in the area and won the Bloods a penalty, with the Broxbourne player was sent-off.

Avis took the ball without hesitation and firmly smashed into the back of the net.

Saffron Walden will place Welwyn Garden City in the next round.

Fans’ man of the match went to Perry Moody.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter