Youth football results

PUBLISHED: 14:10 18 January 2011




Youth football round up. Send your reports in. E-mail


Double Header

Manuden 4-0 Stevenage Blue Sox

Manuden 3-0 Stevenage Blue Sox

Manuden U9s continued their strong season by securing a comprehensive double header victory over Stevenage Blue Sox.

In game one, goals from Harry Hewitt, James Allen (2) and Max Wilson secured victory. In Game two, after an evenly matched first half which ended goalless, the deadlock was finally broken and victory secured in the second half thanks to a Fraser Alexander hat trick.

Thaxted Rangers Blues 0

Broomfield 0

THAXTED had lots of possession in the first half with Toby Fletcher, Samuel Skinner and Joseph Osborn all combining well to tee up chances for Mason Allington. However, the home side did not always have it all their own way, and on the one occasion in the first half Broomfield got through the solid Angus Gemmill and Christopher Donlon defence, and hit the cross bar with a fine effort.

Thaxted played great football in the second half and went very close with efforts from Allington and Edward Wilson who worked really hard, but the Broomfield keeper had a great game.

It was Broomfield who had the last chance and almost won it. After a great block from Joseph Osborn, Broomfield shot inches past the post. But it stayed nil-nil. A fair result in the end but did neither team any favours as they both still aim to win the league.


Stevenage Borough Stripes 0

Manuden JFC 13

MANUDEN produced an excellent team performance, as well as 13 goals, to maintain their place at the top of the league.

Goals from Samuel Law (4), Taylor Alexander (3), Dane Elliott (2), George Mullings, Jayden Harrington, Olli Bontoft, and a Stevenage own goal ensured that Manuden made it eight wins from eight games.


Saffron Walden Town A 5

Plantation 0

AFTER not playing for five weeks you might have expected some rustiness but Walden came flying out of the traps and played their best football of the season. Kicking into a very strong wind they scored twice in the first half from Alex Newitt and George Shrimpton and in the second half playing with the wind laid siege to the Plantation goal and scored three more, another from Shrimpton and a brace from Marc Tucker.

St. Neots Town Whites 2

Manuden Juniors 2

MANUDEN produced a fine performance in their first game for almost two months. Trailing 1-0 at half time, they were quickly 2-1 ahead. A deflected cross was turned in by a defender for the equalising goal. Then two minutes later, Callum Macmillan scored from close range. However, despite some fine goal keeping from Joe Fanthorpe, St Neots scored towards the end to share the points in an evenly matched contest.


Haverhill Rovers 1

Plantation Youth 2

PLANTATION battled into semi finals of the Knock Out Cup Quarter Finals despite not playing for over a month due to bad weather.

They dominated the first half, controlling the midfield and had all the attacking possession. It didn’t take long for Ed Benfold to score from an impossible angle.

A team effort from Ollie Rand and Barnaby Hughes set Ed up again to run through one on one with the keeper and score his second.

The Plantation defenders had a handle on the game and kept the Haverhill attackers at bay.

But in the second half Plantation sat back a little too much and allowed Haverhill to get into the game.

A lapse in concentration saw one Haverhill midfielder run into the box and put in a cross for the striker to pull one back from close range.

The last 10 minutes saw a very contested game, however, Plantation broke many times on the counter attack and looked the most threatening, Finbar Potter came close twice which would have finished off the game.

Full time and a deserved victory for Plantation who continue a run of six wins.

Thaxted Rangers 6

Upland Rangers 2

THAXTED always find this a hard fixture, and, as in previous matches had a bit of a shaky start.

A gift of an own goal helped steady the nerves, Joe Carey’s cross from the edge of the area was hit in to the net by an Uplands defender.

Jordan Marsh quickly made it 2-0 as Uplands concentration slipped. Uplands started to attack but an offside decision gained Thaxted a free kick on the edge of their own area, Tim Jossaume hit it perfectly for Jack Morris to run on to and make it 3-0. Thinking the game was safe, Thaxted made a couple of defensive errors and the score was 3-2 with Uplands pressing hard to equalise.

The second half saw the home side start brightly and Jack Morris headed in Austen Domin’s quality corner kick to make it 4-2. Morris was soon to get his hat-trick after a cross from the wing by Graydon Thorpe. Joe Carey then sealed the match with a powerful drive from the edge of the area. Uplands did not give up and Evan Sunshine’s goalkeeping skills were brought into use on many occasions.

Jordan Marsh and Callum Sparrow dominated the midfield to cap a good team performance. Thaxted are now through to the semi-final of the cup.


Saffron Walden Town 7

St Ives Rangers 0

WALDEN started brightly and went ahead when Dylan Reams was put through on goal and calmly slotted home.

This shook the visitors into action and they made some good half chances only to be thwarted by George Templeman in the Walden goal.

Walden doubled their lead when Ben Truett headed home superbly after some good work down the right wing by Reams.

Town were playing some good stuff and were 3-0 up before half time when man of the match Henry Goddard fired home after being sent clear.

The second half saw more chances come and go for the visitors but a mixture of poor finishing and some great saving tackles by the home defence meant Town kept a clean sheet.

It was soon 4-0 when Truett added his second. Max Wightman and Goddard were causing the visitors problems out wide for Walden, with Onur Arslan and Jack Clark putting in a good shift in the middle.

Three more from Reams completed the scoring and Truett was only denied a hat trick by the crossbar right at the end of the game.


Saffron Walden Town 4

Fulbourn Falcons 3

ON a windy Sunday morning Walden’s boys in red produced a barnstorming performance, toppling a previously unbeaten Fulbourn Falcons side by 4 goals to 3. Two goals from Chaz Pitt, one from John Griffin and a cheeky lob over the goalkeeper from Danny Murphy-Moore with five minutes to go, stunned the Division One top of the table side.

The win was thoroughly deserved with the team displaying immaculate organisation and an iron willed discipline to hold their line in defence and keep their shape across the pitch.

Supporters witnessed tenacity and bravery running all through the side, with the boys having to give total commitment and heart to the cause, especially with the height disadvantage in midfield.

An amazing second half was packed full of incident, including a missed penalty by the away side and numerous chances for both teams as players began to tire.

Walden, having gone 3-0 up, were pegged back to 3-3 before they summoned up a final onslaught to leave supporters breathless and bewildered.

It is anticipated that Walden will gain enormous confidence from this victory and they should continue to climb the league table in the weeks to come.

Great Notley United 2

Thaxted Rangers 5 (aet)

THAXTED progressed into the quarter finals of the league knock out cup despite a poor start to the game.

Notley put on an impressive first half performance and well deserved their two goal lead at the break, the first a well taken penalty, and the second a break on goal that was forced across the line.

After half time the visitors finally started to claw their way back into the game, but could not break down a determined defence until just fifteen minutes left.

Thaxted were awarded and penalty and George Simmons scored from the spot. Thaxted put huge pressure on the home side and finally equalised with minutes to go when Nathan Smye found the back of the net.

In extra time Thaxted were full of confidence and scored three more, from Simmons, Callum Archer and Suyash Gurung.

Thaxted ran out comfortable winners in the end, but with five minutes to go of normal time it could all have been so different for a Notley team that had lead deservedly for a large part of the match.


Priory Parkside 1

Walden Wanderers 2

WANDERERS returned from an eight-week lay-off to record a second consecutive victory.

Despite conceding the opening goal from a 20-yard free kick in the 19th minute, Wanderers responded with strikes from Shaun Fenwick (24) and Elliot Olds (69) to secure victory – the second consecutive away from home.

A solid all-round team performance secured the three points and moved Walden up one place to eighth.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter