Youth football round up - record win for Plantation

PUBLISHED: 11:52 08 February 2011




Youth football round up. Send in your reports. E-mail

Youth Football

Feature game - U13 – Record win for Plantation

Plantation YFC 12

Great Paxton 0

IN A season of many firsts Plantation produced a record win and scored more than 10 goals for the first time.

Marks and Stockton scored the first four in the first half at two a piece. And in the second it was all one way traffic.

Plantation scored from the restart with Alltree, Riddlington and Thomas combining before Weeks hammered in the goal of the game. Cetin Grabbed his second goal in two games before the deserving Alltree hit a low drive past the shell shocked keeper. Marks and Stockton completed their hat tricks before Thomas, Bright and Marks completed the scoring.


PYFC Panthers 0

PYFC Pumas 1

ONE goal was the difference at Herbert’s Farm when the two under 9s Plantation teams squared up for the second time this season.

The Pumas started the brightest and were rewarded after 12 minutes when a clinical pass from Tom Roddis was driven home by Toby Salmon.

Both Harry Dorrian and Louis Temblett forced the Panthers keeper into making several good saves. Despite their creativity the Pumas failed to increase their lead but were determined to hold onto their fourth clean sheet of the season.


Balsham 1

Plantation Panthers 4

PANTHERS made the first breakthrough on 18 minutes when Ollie Newman muscled his way into the Balsham box to fire beyond the reach of the home keeper. Six minutes later he made it 2-0 as he latched onto a loose ball following a corner.

The visitors extended the lead when Kristian Rogers slotted home from close range shortly after. Balsham pulled a goal back but then Rogers collected the ball on the half way line, shrugged off a defender and raced towards goal. He hit the post with a great strike and followed up to tap in the re-bound.

Manuden Juniors 7

Barmond United 0

MANUDEN returned to winning ways with a comfortable 7-0 victory over a determined Barmond side. Goals came from Samuel Law (3), Dane Elliot, Taylor Alexander, and two goals from Man of the Match Nayeem Kadir.

Spartak 78 3

Saffron Walden Town A 2

SPARTAK just managed to hold on and secure a 3-2 win against their local rivals. It was the visitors who managed to grab an early lead when they poked home from close range during a goalmouth scramble.

Spartak didn’t have to wait long before they were back on level terms, Ethan beat the Walden keeper to the ball and finished. The hosts took the lead when Brad turned in a well placed corner from Lukas and extended it as Hudson’s high looping ball got caught in the wind dropped into the goal.

Into the second half Walden got some reward for their endeavour to make it 3-2. But a tense finish was closed out by the home side and they took maximum points.


Saffron Walden B 7

Steeple Bumpstead 0

WALDEN made it two wins in a row with a convincing win. They took the lead through Thomas Marler, the second came soon after via on own goal. Will Ingle then played a brilliant through ball to Marler who rifled it in the top corner for the third. He completed his hat trick with some fine assistance from midfield trio Ingle, Rowan Osborne and Milo Abbiss.

In the second half Alex Holder struck number five, six and seven to grab a hat trick for himself.

Manuden Juniors 4

Stotfold Juniors 0

A HAT TRICK from Chris McDonald and a strike from Kai Whyne saw Manuden home for maximum points.

Whyne kicked off this dominant display with a long-range effort before McDonald took over and bagged two before half time and one late on in the second.

In the second half, Manuden created a number of other chances, with Callum Macmillan and Whyne both hitting the woodwork. Man of the match was Toby Davies who also went close.


Bishop’s Stortford Swifts Blacks 3

Manuden Juniors 6

DESPITE falling behind three times Manuden Juniors fought back to win an exciting match. Goals from Lewis McDonald and Jack Garrett meant both sides went in level at half time, two a piece. Again early in the second half Manuden found themselves trailing, but a scrambled goal from Jonny Mussard following a corner brought the teams level. A left-footed shot into the top corner from Nick Phillips gave the away side the lead for the first time and they never looked back closing the game out with further goals from Garrett and a neat header from Daniel Fernandes.

Spartak 3

Stukeley Meadows 0

CHANCES were few and far between due to blustery conditions, but this game burst into life mid way through the first half when a shot from Tommy Cox smashed against the upright.

Moments later a cross from Matt Tucker saw Freddie Jones slot home the opener. A great save from George Silvester and a goal from George Storey saw the home side two up at the break.

With the wind behind them Stukeley came more into the game but yet again some great defending from Josh Bates George Crawte, Harry Dobney and Harvey Carter kept them at bay. Spartak came back into the game and some missed chance kept the game on a knife edge until William Purkiss looping shot found the back of the net.

Plantation Youth 7

Chatteris Town B 3

A QUICK start saw Plantation go two-nil up within minutes. The first came from a brilliantly weighted lob pass from Ollie Rand which Owen Eddershaw calmly hit first time bending the ball round the on-rushing keeper. The second fell to Bill Stanley in the edge of the box which he smashed into the roof of the net.

Fred Found was called into action to make a spectacular save from a long range effort. Ed Benfold than scored a hat trick to take Plantation into half time with a 5-0 lead.

Plantation took their foot off the gas in the second half and Chatteris started to become more of a threat. They continued to press and managed to get one back, but Finbar Potter replied by running down the right wing, cutting inside and scoring from a tight angle. Chatteris came back to score two more, but Benfold killed the game off with his fourth of the day. Plantation moved to within one of second place.


Brampton Spartans 3

Saffron Walden 6

Walden kept their title challenge on track with a superb team performance. After going behind against the run of play they struck back thanks to Dylan Reams.

The visitors were soon in front when Jack Clark cleverly lobbed the home keeper from the edge of the box.

Two more goals before half time came through Reams as he completed his hat-trick and another from the home side to make the score 4-2 at the break.

In the second half Walden stretched their lead when the home keeper cleared the ball straight to Reams who fired it back into the far corner of the net.

However, there was still work to do as the home side pulled a goal back to make the score 5-3. But Ben Truett sealed the victory by calmly slotting home after breaking clear.


Chatteris Town 3

Saffron Walden Town 2

WALDEN opened the scoring in the first half when Clark battled down the right and poked the ball though the defence to Page who beat the keeper. However, just before half time, Chatteris managed an equaliser.

The second half started with the home side pushing for a second and they took the lead within minutes.

Later, Walden were given a free kick outside the Chatteris penalty area. The ball was swept across the goalmouth by Riccio, after a scramble Clark managed to equalise.

But it was a sour end for Walden – as the game drew to an end Chatteris scored a third to claim maximum points.

Haverhill Rovers 0

Walden Wanderers 2

WANDERERS claimed their first clean-sheet and fourth victory of the season – all of which have come away from home. Goalkeeper Cameron Snell made a vital save at 0-0 but was otherwise largely untroubled as Walden created a host of goalscoring chances. Matt Granger’s strikes in the 13th and 19th minutes put his side in charge – a lead, due to a solid all-round team performance, that rarely looked like being relinquished.

Manuden Juniors 4

Stevenage Colts Greens 1

A MAJOR improvement in play and luck brought the home team a well deserved victory. Christopher Clasper got on the score sheet twice with two well taken goals, Oli King grabbed another with a real goal poachers effort. Finally, Harry Caulder kept his cool from the spot and slid the ball past the opposition’s keeper to make it four.


Spartak 78 Reds 1

Wisbech St. Mary 0

SPARTAK extended their lead at the top of Division A to seven points with this deserved victory over second place Wisbech.

Playing against a strong wind in the first half, the Reds had to endure a number of attacks from the visitors and it took some time for them to adapt to the conditions, they managed to get to half time all square.

In the second Lenny Bennais and Hamish Ritchie created chances for the hosts before Dan Procter dashed through the middle and hit the ball first time from just inside the box into the bottom corner of the goal to give the Reds a deserved win.

Soham Town Colts 2

Spartak 78 Blacks 1

A FAILURE to capitalise on a number of chances resulted in Spartak narrowly missing out on taking anything from this game.

They went behind 25 minutes into the first half despite goalkeeper John Clarke being in top form – the youngster pulled off a string of good saves to deny the hosts.

At the other end the Blacks created a number of chances of their own with Luke Diana coming closest to levelling the score but the half finished with Soham maintaining a slender advantage.

The second half was largely dominated by the visitors and they eventually got an equaliser when the ball fell to Harry Stark who calmly slotted home.

At this point there looked as though there would only be one winner but Spartak failed to maintain the momentum Soham struck late on to take the points.


March Rangers FC 1

Radwinter Colts FC 4

RADWINTER went one-up before half time after a fine strike from a well worked free kick by Jai Goodwin.

The second half was just the same as the first, with Radwinter dominating the game. Terry Heath latched onto a fine cross from Will Rolls to volley a superb second, 10 minutes later and Terry made it 3-1 with a long lob over the keeper and into the open net behind him. March struck back with a penalty but Aaron Westwood sealed the win when he broke from the half way line, beat two defenders, and slotted the ball calmly past the outstretched keeper.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter