Saffron Walden youth football round up

PUBLISHED: 20:29 10 December 2013 | UPDATED: 20:29 10 December 2013

Saffron Walden youth football round up


Saffron Walden Town 1 Newmarket Town 1

Saffron Walden under-18s left it late to rescue a point v near neighbours Newmarket Town.

With late withdrawals through illness and injuries, Walden began the match with only one substitute and soon found themselves on the back foot as Newmarket hit the walden bar after just 3 minutes. 3 minutes later a drilled cross from the right, was poorly dealt with by the walden defence, allowing Newmarket to place the ball in the bottom right of the walden net for a 1-0 lead. The rest of the half saw little action at either end and, as the match progressed, it was hard to see when a breakthrough would come. The

second half started much the same as the first half ended. Both sides having plenty of possession without posing much attacking threat. Any chances that Walden produced were thwarted by some good defending by Newmarket and by some uncharacteristic poor passing by Walden. Having said that, John Griffin produced the pass of the match when he picked up a loose ball with 10 minutes to go and threaded a perfectly weighted through ball for Harry Clark, who’s powerful run and shot was parried by the keeper into the path of Theo Hutchinson to slot the ball into the back of the net to make the scores level at 1-1.

The goal seemed to take the wind out of Newmarket’s sails and with their tails up, Walden sensed that they could get the win and spent the remaining minutes camped in the Newmarket half. As hard as they pressed, Walden could not fashion a winner. The closest they got was a shot by John Griffin from outside the area but it hit the crossbar.

Overall, a draw was probably a fair result but Walden must improve on their passing game if they are to climb up the table.


Hitchin Town Pumas 4 Manuden 5

Manuden produced another spirited performance in a close fought victory. Having fallen behind early on, Manuden scored two quick goals from George Hewitt, following a great run down the left wing and cross from Archie Mullings, and a Tom Basten strike from close range. HItchin then drew level before further goals from Dan Storey, with a lovely left foot curler from the edge of the box, and Archie Mullings saw Manuden lead 4-2 at half time.

In the second half, Hitchin capitalised on some indecisive defending to draw level, and could have led but for some fine saves from Finn Macmillan and timely interceptions from Tom Basten and Max Bennett in central defence. But Manuden deserved their victory, and with Will Davies threatening done the right, Ben and Sam Sloan doing the same on the left, it was Louis Joannou who scored the winner with 5 minutes to go to cap a fine individual and team performance.

Next week, the U11s play Hormead Hares in the cup.

Saffron Walden Blacks 2 Aztecs 3

Walden came so close to taking the cup match into extra time.

Having gone 3-1 down at half-time, the second half was dominated by Walden and it wasn’t for the crossbar and some inspired keeping from the away goalkeeper, who knows what would have happened.

Walden started slowly and were two goals down before they started to wake up. A penalty from Alfie Moss got them back into the game and they were unlucky to concede another goal just before half time.

The second half witnessed a tremendous fight back with Ciaran Mone excellent in midfield and Jacob Park creating chances down the right wing.

Another goal from Moss set up a tense finish and with minutes to go, Park raced free and struck the bar.


Plantation Youth 4 Wymondley Park 4

A slow start from both teams resulted in little action early on but it was Plantation who broke the deadlock after 18 minutes when Harry Sanders headed home perfectly from Max Hall’s inswinging corner.

Soon after Tanzim Khan made it 2-0, sweeping home Adam Whitehead’s pinpoint cross from 12 yards to give Plantation a comfortable half-time cushion.

The second half started well for Plantation with Louis Eady hitting the crossbar from a wide angle before grabbing a brace in the 39th and 43rd minute; two very similar goals lobbing the advancing keeper after running on to perfectly timed through balls from first Adam Whitehead and then Ollie Newman. Apparently cruising Plantation were then rocked by two quick goals as the visitors clawed their way back into the game after 51 minutes. Soon after two fantastic saves from keeper Josh Bates appeared to steady the home team but then two late goals, the second a long range effort crashing in off the underside of the crossbar in the final minute, ensured the game ended all square.


Saffron Hawks 8 Red Lodge Youth 98 3

Saffron Hawks and Red Lodge were at level pegging at the end of the first half, 1-1.

At the start of the second half Red Lodge took the lead, this made the Hawks boys step up a gear, they took the advantage of this and went into

the lead, halfway through the second half Hawks were awarded a penalty, Philip Crowley stepped up to the spot and pounded the ball into the back of the net, making the score 5-3.

Hawks carried on with the pressure adding 3 more goals to the scoreline. The whole team put in a great second half performance which has put them in third place in the League and remain unbeaten at home.

Hawks scorers were David Cetin 3, Alfie Marks 2, Philip Crowley (penalty), Diogo Goncalo and Luke Jackson.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter