Saffron Walden youth sports round-up
Youth sport round-up for the area - football, running, netball and cricket
Over 1,200 youngsters took part in the 25th annual Sawston 5-mile Fun Run on Sunday raising cash to support The Rosie Maternity Hospital Campaign.
Saffron Walden youngsters took part, including two triplets Adam and Holly Langworthy, young triathlete Rory Townsend, county runner Cameron Watson, and regional competitor Hannah Irwin.
You may also want to watch:
Despite being moved to one side at the start, Watson came third in the 7-11 boy’s age group and Irwin came second in the equivalent girl’s group.
- 1 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 2 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 3 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 4 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 5 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 6 Campaign seeks free products in Uttlesford's public buildings
- 7 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 8 Saffron Hall's Come Together project starts online this month
- 9 Rape victim urges others to be brave and tell Essex Police
- 10 MasterChef winner Chef Webb's lockdown recipe
Young hockey players from Walden have shown that they have county, if not national, pedigree after impressing for Cambridgeshire.
David Boyd, Guy Flynn, Joshua Stevenson and Nicky Thompson helped their side win 3-2 against Essex and then 4-0 against Lincolnshire with Boyd and Flynn on the scoresheet. Add Joshua Charge and Walden have a ‘fabulous five’, all born in 1996, who are now pushing for U16 England trials this year.
- Saffron Hawks U12s beat the Hornets U12s 53-13 last Wednesday thanks to a final quarter which saw 19 unanswered points. Charlotte Boyle put in a strong performance around the D and her accurate shooting helped seal an easy win – they then went on to beat Cheshunt 30-11 the next day.
- Saffron Hawks U10s also had success as they turned over Tegate U11s 15-2 despite being the younger team. Charlotte Staniforth was at the heart of the possession as she linked between defence and attack superbly. Charlotte Mcdowell and Megan proved too strong in defence as they intercepted loose passes consistently.
- Saffron Hawks U11s rounded off a perfect week with a 29-10 victory over the Hornets U11s in what was a compact and solid performance. Olivia Alltree led the way with her passing, moving and lightning reactions.
- Plantation Panthers rounded off their season with a fine 2-0 win over West Wratting on Saturday. Dylan Hider and Kristian Rogers doing the damage for the hosts.
- Spartak ’78 U10s smashed nine past Balsham to finish off their season in style, in the goals were Brad (3), Lukas (3), Ethan (2), and Sammy.
- Saffron Walden Town FC U13s and U14s are looking for new players for next season. Trials at Catons Lane on Wednesday May 25. Call Andy 07841 527456.
- A record 8th wicket partnership between Luke Ormsby (67no) and Ben Appleby (28no) allowed Saffron Walden U16s to beat South Woodford by 25 runs in the recent round of the Essex Match Play Competition. Captain Jamie White led the way with 54 runs as they set 237 for victory in 40 overs. Andrew Jordan (4-34) ensured victory with the ball.
- Royston pipped Saffron Walden U12s by eight wickets, scoring the winning run off the last ball of the match. Walden made 92 all out, Finn Karsten top scoring with 17, but bowled well to bring themselves back into contention. But the hosts won by the slightest of margins after the scores were level with one ball to go. To make matters worse, the following day, Walden lost to Dunmow by two runs after failing to chase down 112 for victory. Alexander Thomas hit 25 not out in vain.
- Stansted Hall U11s secured the tightest of wins over their Saffron Walden counterparts by securing the winning runs off the last ball with just one wicket remaining. Walden made just 72 but Stansted were made to work for it as both Tommy Albright (2-6) and George Bright (2-8) bowled well.
However, Walden hit back with a 15-run win over Cambourne and a huge 75-run win over Epping. Edward Ford (27rtd and 13) batted and bowled superbly in both matches ably supported by Ronnie Ledwith (22), Chris Bogg (22) and Ned Kearton (2-18).
- The Saffron Walden Under 14 Development Squad began their CYCA U15 league season with a thumping 73-run victory Barrington. Batting first Coby Game (23) and Will Clark (39) got the side off to a steady start and Josh Charge (20) put his foot down to get his side to 142. Barrington never got close as Ally Hancock (2-11) and James Patterson (3-13) removed the top order and the rest of the innings died away with Jesper Walker finishing with 3-7.